Courtney's Reviews > Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, favorite-authors, my-favorites, advice, best-of-the-best
Read from August 12 to 15, 2012

This book is a collection of advice essays written under the pseudonym of "Dear Sugar." The topics range from how to move on after losing a child, to how to decide whether or not to have a child, to how to repair a broken friendship, and everything in between. The advice for all of these, and so many others, was beautifully written and thoughtful and sometimes even shocking.

This book is not for the faint of heart- it is a little raunchy, a little graphic, but a whole lot of beautiful. There were many times after reading a particular letter and words of advice that I had to set the book down and walk away and process it. I genuinely feel that everyone should read this book, because I truly believe everyone would take something away from it.

To sound like a terrible review: I laughed, I cried, I wanted more. But honestly, I did. There were passages I read that I could barely read through my tears, and there were times that I laughed so loud that my husband asked me what was so funny.

My favorite of all of the words of advice given is this: "I'll never know, and neither will you of the life you don't choose. We'll only know that whatever that sister life was, it was important and beautiful and not ours. It was the ghost ship that didn't carry us. There's nothing to do but salute it from the shore." Those words are so profound to me, and so true, and I have never thought of them in that way.

There were times I didn't want to read more and passages that were dark, but those were times that gave me insight into Sugar's life. It was a holistic view, and the reader really gets to know Cheryl Strayed through these pages and through her words.

Long and short- read it. Even if some chapters don't interest you and you have to skip over them, or the content is too dark- read it. I am certain that I will read this a hundred more times in my life, and will learn new things each time. I will, 100% without a doubt, be picking up Strayed's other words, although I do understand they are very different than this.

Beautiful, profound, dark, scary, thoughtful, heartbreaking, and poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Beautiful Things.

Quotes Courtney Liked

Cheryl Strayed
“I'll never know, and neither will you, of the life you don't choose. We'll only know that whatever that sister life was, it was important and beautiful and not ours. It was the ghost ship that didn't carry us. There's nothing to do but salute it from the shore.”
Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

08/12/2012
4.0% "I've only read three of the letters/responses thus far, and already I am hooked. The one I just finished made me cry enough that I had to set the book down. I love this one."
08/12/2012
25.0% "I am literally devouring these letters/responses- the writing is brilliant, and very moving."
08/12/2012
52.0% "Can't express how much I am loving this."
08/14/2012
75.0% "The fact that I am doing an update when there's a near certainty I will finish this tonight just tells you sincerely how much I truly LOVE this book/collection of letters. Everyone needs to read it. I insist."
show 1 hidden update…