Sparrow's Reviews > Winged Leviathan

Winged Leviathan by Forrest Audobon

Oct 22, 12

bookshelves: good-beach-reads, monsters, under-read-gems, want-a-hardcover-of-my-very-own, reviewed
Recommended to Sparrow by: V.D. Burns
Read from August 28 to September 20, 2012

Well, I hate to be negative, but I think there might be some factual errors in this book. I don’t think a book that is about “World War 2” should fail to talk about the Great Depression in America because that is what readers can really relate to. I also thought it was incorrect to say that they found a spirit bridge without having to answer the three questions of the spirit bridge keeper, the Holy Ghost. I’m not saying the author, whom I believe to be a communist and possibly from Iran, like Barack Obama, needs to apologize to me about this because I haven’t written a bestseller, so who am I to talk? I am just saying that he should probably self-deport himself instead of taking hard-earned taxpayer dollars that I built to publish this spiritual self-help book. Other than the un-American parts of this book, I liked the more accurate parts, so I will tell you about them and hopefully you will love my “review.” LOL.

I like how there was a lot of good advice in here about how a woman can use her womanly powers to please men. I know that a lot of smart, sassy ladies wear their heels during sex, like the woman scientist in this story does, because, you know, it enhances the curvature of our calves and also because Jesus wants us to. The Eldridges describe the story of Ruth from this book called the “Bible” to tell us about that kind of thing. I’m just going to quote from the original work because it reminds me so much of the deeper spiritual message of Winged Leviathan.
Ruth, as you’ll remember, is the daughter-in-law of a woman from Judah named Naomi. Both women have lost their husbands and are in a pretty bad way; they have no man looking out for them, their financial status is below the poverty line, and they are vulnerable in many other ways as well. Things begin to look up when Ruth catches the eye of a wealthy single man named Boaz. Boaz is a good man, this we know. He offers her some protection and some food. But, Boaz is not giving Ruth what she really needs – a ring.

So what does Ruth do? She ‘inspires’ him. She arouses him to be a man. Here’s the scene: The men have been working dawn till dusk to bring the barley harvest; they’ve just finished and now it’s party time. Ruth takes a bubble bath and puts on a knockout dress; then she waits for the right moment. . . .

No, I do not think Ruth and Boaz had sex that night; I do not think anything inappropriate happened at all. But this is no fellowship potluck, either. . . . A woman is at her best when she is being a woman. Boaz needs a little help getting going and Ruth has some options. . . . She can badger him . . . [, s]he can whine about it . . . [, s]he can emasculate him . . . [, o]r she can use all she is as a woman to get him to use all he’s got as a man. She can arouse, inspire, energize . . . Ask your man what he’d prefer.

-- Captivating, by Stasi Eldridge, quoting Wild at Heart by John Eldridge

I am quoting Stasi Eldridge’s book of quotes from John Eldridge because this book has a lot of the same values as that, LOL. And, it is proper for a woman to quote a man about spiritual self-help. Some “feminists” (LOL, I mean “man-haters”) might say that the story of Ruth is not about that at all, but that it is about two women survivors protecting each other in a world that hates them. But, feminists are probably going to hell, LOL. They also probably think people care about ovaries or something. And also I heard that they want to kill babies. So, you should love babies and buy American.

The other thing I liked in this book was the funny jokes about duct tape. And I liked how the main character had problems with his dad, but they got to work them out through a spiritual journey. I also liked the funny jokes about the Leviathan’s butt and how the soldiers didn’t listen to the monks at the castle because they were probably atheists, LOL and prayers for them!

I didn’t like how there weren’t enough characters who turned out to be alive after we thought they were dead, but maybe they will be alive in the next book in this series. And how the main guy didn’t get married because he really needs one woman to arouse him. Amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winged Leviathan.

08/28/2012
4.0% "You know what would be sooooo pretty?? A set of G&C hardcovers."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sparrow I also wish David Rees wrote a G&C book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh man, I have to get on this soon. LOL.

Sparrow It's pretty good. In, you know, that opposite way these fellas turn out. I need to get to the screwicorn. It was hard to think of something to say about this one, but I am struggling to have things to say anyway lately.

Michael Would you say this review was at all influenced by the election? Specifically the facepalm-storm of ovary monitoring laws that have been cropping up in the last few months?

message 5: by Sparrow (last edited Nov 13, 2012 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sparrow Haha, no. I hadn't made that association. I actually read both of the Eldridge books at one point - or, well the first one and then the book quoting the first one. I just kept giggling about the part where the girl is only wearing heels and thinking about when Ruth did that.

Mostly, I would say Jesus influenced this review.

Michael Well, as long as your review was influenced by an old conservative white male with ethnocentric, patriarchal values of some kind, that is acceptable.