Kathryn Patterson's Reviews > Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help
Read from August 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy

I find it difficult to review "Steal Like an Artist" because the book is an amalgamation of advice, anecdotes, and uncommon sense. Austin Kleon writes in an easy-to-follow style, instructing readers about how to be creative without talking down to anyone. In fact while I read the book, I felt like I was part of some secret creators club, with this book as the secret club manual.

The book focuses on 10 rules for people to follow in order to be creative. Rule number one is "Steal like an artist." The other nine are printed on the back of the book, but simply knowing the rules does not give you an edge in creativity. You need the explanations, the stories, the logic behind the rules that Mr. Kleon provides to get that tingly feeling (figuratively speaking, of course).

I recommend this book for anyone over the age of 10, anyone who loves to create but feels stifled in today's world, anyone who loves to think, and anyone doing anything at all creative.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steal Like an Artist.

Teresa I'd have to append to your recommendation of "anyone over the age of 10" with "and under the age of 40." While it's all good advice, it was pretty much too hip for me to thoroughly related to. I liked it - enjoyed all the quotes and anecdotes - but didn't love it.