Kala's Reviews > Perfect Chemistry

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

6551949
Aug 12, 12

Read in August, 2012

I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't do it for me. I really wanted to like the main two characters, but I ended up just feeling kind of meh about them. I really wanted to like the ending, but it was a little over the top cheesy. And the epilogue... I have no words.

Every chapter in this book shifts perspectives between the two main characters, Brittany and Alex. Brittany is the stereotypical pretty white blonde cheerleader who comes from a rich family and lives in a mansion. Alex is the stereotypical Mexican gang member who can only speak a mangled form of English despite being born and raised in the USA.

While I appreciate the effort the author put in to developing their relationship, I found it a little jarring. I don't know how to describe it other than their segue from hating each other to being in love didn't flow very well (in my opinion).

Brittany had a boyfriend (who was a stereotypical football player jackass wanting just sex) when she met Alex (and for half the book), but that doesn't seem to matter. She makes out with Alex even though she has a boyfriend. She's later very upset with her boyfriend for cheating on her, despite doing the same thing.

Alex and Brittany then start a "secret" relationship (which isn't so secret when they're constantly making out in front of kids from their school). She says "I love you" awfully fast and the two have sex, then he dumps her (for her own safety of course).

Now, this is where the plot just gets ridiculous. (view spoiler)

I probably would have given this book 3 stars if not for the cheesy ending and absolutely moronic epilogue. Unsure at this point if I will continue on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Chemistry.