Jen's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Aug 12, 2012

Read in August, 2012

There is a lot of laugh-out-loud funny stuff in the creator of 30 Rock's memoir. There's also a lot of empowering women stuff - it's great to have Tina on our side, spouting off against the haters who make claims like "women writers aren't funny" (something I grew up hearing - toxic!) and "women are crazy." Go Tina go! I dog-eared so many pages that the poor book is a mess for the next friend I pass this to.

There's also a fascinating chapter about the six episodes of Saturday Night Live in which she portrayed Sarah Palin in the lead up to the 2008 presidential election. If you watched those episodes (and their potential impact on the election), you will be riveted.

"Then it happened. In the spring of 1981 I achieved menarche while singing Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue" at a districtwide chorus concert. I was ten years old. I had noticed something weird earlier in the day, but I knew from commercials that one's menstrual period was a blue liquid that you poured like laundry detergent onto maxi pads to test their absorbency. This wasn't blue, so...I ignored it for a few hours."

"Let's admit it, yellow hair does have magic powers. You could put a blond wig on a hot-water heater and some dude would try to fuck it."

"Straight from the tap it smells like...How can I describe it? - if you boiled ten thousand eggs in a prostitute's bathwater."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.