Nada's Reviews > Darcy's Story

Aug 01, 07

bookshelves: discarded, fanfiction
Recommended for: autistic fans of Jane Austen
Read in July, 2007

There were times when I was convinced that this book was written by a computer. So much of this book is merely a reshuffling of the sentences in Pride and Prejudice to make the story "from Darcy's perspective". Oooh, clever. The author does add some original scenes, especially between Darcy and his sister, but they utterly fail to ring true.

I think what people are actually seeking when they pick up a book like this are insights into other characters thoughts and emotions, which were not explicitly revealed by Austen. (We want to see those insights so we can compare them to our own opinions, and deride them if they disagree.) There were a few moments like that - mostly, the author succeeded in making obvious how jealous and desperate Caroline Bingley was, and how cold Darcy was toward her. That's not without (entertainment) value.

Writing Jane Austen pastische (ahem, fan fiction) is difficult because every slight deviation from absolute Janianism is going to bring a torrent of angry tongue-clucking upon you - but not making any deviations or inventions whatsoever eliminates the point of writing such a book altogether.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Story.

Elizabeth You expressed exactly the problems I had with this book. I would also add that readers of Jane Austen fan fiction / pastoche also want to see insights we otherwise would not have had and this book presents nothing new or already implied.