rameau's Reviews > Sota ilman sankareita

Sota ilman sankareita by John le Carré

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: language-finnish-translation, manually-added, read-in-2012, rating-meh
Read in August, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a tough act to follow, but I must admit I was expecting more. At first, I thought that’s exactly what I was getting but then the mind-numbing second third happened and I was lost in a way I never was in Tinker Tailor. I still don’t have a clear understanding of what happened—in the book or with my interest in it.

All I know is that I got sick of reading about Jerry. I got sick of Guillam’s overdone fawning. I got sick of the female characters—including Connie—portrayed as little else than objects or victims of a man’s obsession. Smiley himself, he was a changed man in this.

Still, the story had its good moments, and when it was good it was oh, so very good. The ending with its rebirth almost reassured me enough to forget all my troubles with this book. Almost.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sota ilman sankareita.

08/15/2012 page 85
17.0% "This is where I'm sorry I ever saw the film, because after Benedict Cumberbatch's performance some aspects of Guillam's character in the books feel grating." 5 comments
08/16/2012 page 171
34.0% "The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. Again."
08/16/2012 page 243
48.0% "I don't remember Guillam bragging about anything to his conquests in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Consistency issues or my imagination?"
08/16/2012 page 260
51.0% "On to the second part and the translator changes." 13 comments

Wouter Demuyt Hey, I got just the same feeling. So far, I loved every Le Carré book I read, but this one seemed to drag on endlessly. To my mind there's just not enough story for such an elaborate plot.