Daniel's Reviews > The Murders in the Rue Morgue: The Dupin Tales

The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe

Dec 08, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in December, 2008

I really wanted and expected to enjoy Edgar Allan Poe's trio of tales featuring C. Auguste Dupin, knowing that they gave birth to the modern detective story and that Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories likely would not exist without them.

The Dupin stories are not without their merits: "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" has a humorous -- and perhaps more humorous than Poe intended -- twist at the end, and "The Mystery of Marie Roget" is noteworthy for containing Poe's accurate solution to the real-life murder on which it was based.

But, for me, the tales simply fall short of being as entertaining as even the least of the Holmes stories. As a character, Dupin has little personality beyond his skills of deduction (and being maddeningly long-winded in discussing his deductive technique), and the stories' unnamed narrator -- Watson to Dupin's Holmes -- is similarly lacking in personality. The stories, therefore, end up being less literature and more akin to police briefings.

Fans of hardcore police procedurals may find value in these stories, particularly given how influential they were, but other readers will likely find them less entertaining.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murders in the Rue Morgue.

message 1: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Haven't got to Marie Roget yet but I'd agree with you based on the two I've read. Better luck with Raffles!