Virginia's Reviews > Kiss the Dead

Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton

Aug 12, 12

Read in August, 2012

Oh, Ms. Hamilton. I miss the old days, when Anita was an ass-kicking, ball-busting, mystery solving, crime fighting, zombie raising, vampire slayer without so much personal mess getting in the way of the story. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate many of the new characters and the turn the series took at Narcissus in Chains didn't bother me in the least.

The problem, now, it that it's too much. There are too many metaphysical miracles cropping up (surely there is a limit somewhere), too many characters to do them all justice in the length of a novel, too many long-winded "discussions" in which Anita justifies/defends/explains her choices and life to all those narrow-minded, interchangeable stock characters. The bad guys take a back seat to Anita's love life. The action takes a back seat to Anita & Co's emotional drama. New material takes a back seat to explaining the previous twenty books. And what we're left with is a book where very little actually happens that can't be saved by the now-tiresome/unbelievable sex scenes and shallow, de facto mentions of characters that used to be complex and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Dead.