Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)'s Reviews > The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

5420722
Dec 09, 13

bookshelves: historical, mystery
Read on August 12, 2012

Somewhere around a thousand authors must have tried their hands at Sherlock Holmes, as he's been so long out of copyright, so I don't really understand how the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate really feels they have any particular right to choose an author to write an "authorized" Sherlock Holmes novel, but I must say they did a pretty good job in choosing Horowitz.

It's a long time since I have actually read Conan Doyle's novels, but this novel certainly reads the way I recall those stories. Holmes, Watson, Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson and even Moriarty, seem totally authentic. The two intertwined cases show Holmes usual brand of brilliance in detection – though Horowitz’ version relies on a whopping great coincidence to tie them together. I can't help thinking Conan Doyle would not have approved.

Only once in a while did a glaring anachronism manage to creep in – I wonder if it's actually easier for an American to write about 1890 London than it would have been for someone living in London today. The one that jumped out at me was a police officer giving the arrested man his rights: "you are not obliged to say anything unless you desire to do so, but whatever you do say I shall take down in writing..." This wouldn't have happened prior to the Judges Rules of 1912, at least.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traveller (last edited Dec 10, 2013 02:11AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Derek, have you had a look at this volume yet? The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

It's a nicely varied compendium.

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) No, but you're right about the variety. There's some of my favorite authors there, some I've never heard of, and a few that I've read before but need a gimmick like Sherlock to make me read again!

message 3: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller I have the book and have read a few stories which I really enjoyed. At least one had a sort of Lovecraftian flavor.