Barbara's Reviews > Real Men Will

May 11, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, read-in-2012, romance, contemporary-fic, series
Read on August 12, 2012

I don't usually read romance novels but I gave this one and shot and enjoyed it enough. I hadn't read the previous two books in the series but I didn't feel like it mattered much. The basic story is Eric Donovan and Beth Cantrell meet and have a passionate one night stand. Neither knows the other well and Eric makes it more complicated by using his brother Jamie's name instead of his own. Six months go by and the two find themselves in each other's lives due to a robbery at the Donovan Brother's Brewery. When Beth finds out Eric's real name, she's at first mad but of course that doesn't last too long and before you know it the two are involved in a (somewhat) secret affair. You can probably guess how the rest of the relationship pans out from there.

What makes this romance stand out to me is that the story is more than just Beth and Eric's relationship. The reader gets to see what makes these characters click and how the people around them have shaped them. I liked that the central robbery storyline was not just an afterthought to Beth and Eric's sex life. I also liked that Beth, who owns a sex shop, turned out to be a real person who has her own fears and insecurities sexual and otherwise. While the book is definitely smutt it doesn't put it on too heavily. That being said there's plenty of sex! Wouldn't be a romance without it! Thankfully Dahl's decent writing doesn't make it all sound so cliche.

I think I could enjoy reading this type of book from time to time. After all not every book has to be a classic! All in all a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Men Will.