Ed's Reviews > Wild Wives

Wild Wives by Charles Willeford

Aug 12, 12

Recommended to Ed by: Longtime Willeford fan
Recommended for: private eye/crime noir fans
Read in August, 2012

This fast-paced novella is an unconventional private eye tale populated with seedy, greedy characters. Willeford, having written it under a pseudonym in 1956, rehashes the usual private-eye-falls-for-a-femme-fatale formula. But he throws in enough curveballs to keep the reader off-balance, starting with the first scene where a beautiful young lady struts into the private eye's office. Our lovers eventually make their way to no-holds-bar Las Vegas where the action grows even weirder. I'd say WILD WIVES is great fun to read on a rainy or snowy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Wives.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Handros Reading this as a Miami girl, makes me want to go back and check out some of Willeford's stuff. Maybe I'll re-read "Miami Blues." He used to write book reviews for the Miami Herald, and his widow still does. Bit of trivia -- he also taught at Miami-Dade Junior College.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Nikki wrote: "Reading this as a Miami girl, makes me want to go back and check out some of Willeford's stuff. Maybe I'll re-read "Miami Blues." He used to write book reviews for the Miami Herald, and his widow..."

Ah, so he had a Florida connection. Miami Blues sounds like a great re-read. I'm trying to finish his THE WHIP HAND before I get a new book in tomorrow. Thanks much for the comments and info, Nikki.