Alexa's Reviews > Pivot Point

Aug 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-publication, paranormal, mystery
Read from August 27 to 30, 2013 — I own a copy

WHAT DID JUST HAPPEN WHAT?

Basically me. Throughout the entire second half of this book.

Dang, this was good. It looks like it's nice and innocent enough at first, but around the halftime mark, things start to get really serious and heavy and wow. I'm impressed. I like this technique of building suspense.

So, yeah, for the first 150 pages it was all a little fluffy and more romance-centered, but it still really drew me in and I was actually quite surprised by this. I am not a big fan of contemporary as you might know, so relationship stuff only isn't my cup of tea. And even if you add the paranormal elements, it was still not really my thing. Or so I thought. However, I found I still really enjoyed the relationship build-up part. Very nicely done.

The second half just continually blew my freaking mind. Lots and lots of things happened and with every surprise that was dropped upon us I was left more amazed. There is so much I admire about this book: how some things happen in both paths and you're like "Aaahhh.. now that is happening on the other side." or "Oh god it's him." I absolutely loved that. And then there were the times when the paths just crossed a bit, like some events happening in a slightly different form or Addie actually meeting people from the other path, without getting into spoiler territory. Add to that the constant thrill of not knowing who the bad guy is. This book just kept me guessing until the last pages and let me tell you it was awesome.

Characters weren't the best part of this book, because they did lack a bit. Addison was a bit flat, although I loved her rationality and intelligence, as well as her honesty. She was a good character mostly, but she's not going to be on my list of favorite heroines ever anytime soon. I did like her though so she passed the test and I was satisfied with her leading me through the story. Laila was fiery and headstrong, but because of reasons beyond me I REALLY liked her. I enjoyed her character so, so much, even though I'm usually not the type for these brash and reckless characters. Duke was very complex and I loved how well West portrayed his "natural charm", because he did do just that. He instantly and naturally charmed his way into my heart and he was a very sweet guy. Loved him. Also loved his competition, Trevor. Both of these guys were perfectly done and well suited for Addie, especially Trevor though. Their dynamics were great. He was a very interesting introvert and it was cool discovering new things about him along the way and simply getting to know him together with Addie, and at the end standing there and not having noticed how he crept up on me. Trevor was great.

Yeah well, need I say that plot and storyline were brilliant? I don't think so. Relationship dynamics were absolutely wonderful, not only the romance/friendship between Addie/Duke and Addie/Trevor, but the dynamics between Addie and both her parents, in both paths, as well as her best friend Laila were skillfully done and I loved them. They seemed very real and true. And of course plus points for not only focusing on romance, I appreciate it!

Aahhh, West's writing. It was poetic and lyrically sometimes, and as you may know, I love love love poetic writing. Her prose was very beautiful and flowed so artfully across the pages. But, sadly, not all the time. There were a few things that just seemed hacked off and out of time proportion and it made me really uncomfortable. Especially the dialogue, it's like something from my own tries at writing fanfiction/dialogue and failing miserably at putting it together in a way that fits. But all in all, her writing was agreeable.

In conclusion I can say with good conscience I thoroughly enjoyed Pivot Point. During the last 100 to 150 pages I wasn't able to stop because it is so addicting and I loved every second of it. Even before all the suspense I very much enjoyed reading this book. Definitely recommended!

This review also appears on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pivot Point.

Quotes Alexa Liked

Kasie West
“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.”
Kasie West, Pivot Point

Kasie West
“Do you ever feel like you do something or are something for so long that it defines you?”
Kasie West, Pivot Point