Maria V's Reviews > Sweetheart

Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

Aug 18, 12

Read from August 13 to 17, 2012

After reading Heartsick, I couldn't wait to dig into Sweetheart. I had gotten to like many of the characters from the first book and I wanted to see what lay in front of them. Most importantly, I wanted to find out more about Gretchen Lowell's hold over Archie Sheridan; what was it about their relationship that made it so hard for him to let go?

(view spoiler)

Unfortunately, with what Cain revealed toward the end of the book, I found myself no longer interested in what happens to Archie Sheridan because I predict it will be more Vicodin and more daydreams about Gretchen. I know there are three more books to the series, and right now, I don't feel the need to read any more about all that. I also don't care to read any more about hipster journalist Susan Ward. I found her palatable in Heartsick, but in this book, she was just annoying.

I wavered between giving this two or three stars. In the end, I'll stick with three because I did enjoy reading the characters' interactions and dialogues.

I may some day pick up the series again. If I can borrow a copy from the library for free, why not? I still like Archie's partner and friend, Henry Sobol, and I'm still hoping for more clues about Gretchen's crazy, murderous ways. For now, though, I'll be moving on to other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetheart.

08/13/2012 page 23
08/16/2012 page 118
36.0% "It's hard not to want to occasionally smack Archie Sheridan upside the head..."