Anoif Sitruc's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: dystopian
read count: 2

*this is going to be a short review*
I loved this book! the story follows Anna (or Surplus Anna as she refers to herself) who has grown up in a kind of orohanage for 'illegal' children. the laws in this new world are pretty simple: if you want a child, you have to 'hand over' your legal rights to be alive to your child. aka, only one of you can live. the reason for this rule is because a drug to make humans live forever has been created. But, as always there are law breakers who don't follow the rules and have children anyway. Thus these orphanages were born. The orphanages are for 'surplus' children who do not have a legal right to be alive becaus their parents disobeyed laws and had children anyway.
'Surplus' Anna is a model citizen, she blames herself for being alive, and has been programmed to hate her parents for forcing her to live illegally. But when Surplus Peter turns up as a wild teenager (this NEVER happens)he supposedly brings news of Anna's family and that they supposedly love her.
I recommend this book to ages 11-18 because there are probably some flaws that would irritate older readers. I also recommend reading the sequel to this book, it is very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.