Meg's Reviews > The Miracle Worker

The Miracle Worker by William  Gibson

Nov 30, 08

One of my favorite plays... the story of Anne Sullivan breaking through the darkness and silence of Helen Keller's world to teach her the very concept of language. It reads incredibly well, but if you must see it in action, check out the classic film version with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke and absolutely DO NOT WATCH THE REMAKE. It is craptacular to the extreme. I just finished a run at the Hale Center Theater in Orem playing Helen Keller's mother Kate and it positively changed my life forever. I do love a story of ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

FAVORITE MONOLOGUE:

(Anne Sullivan) I wanted to teach you--oh, everything the earth is full of, Helen, everything on it that's ours for a wink and it's gone, and what we are on it, the--light we bring to it and leave behind in--words, why, you can see five thousand years back in a light of words, everything we feel, think, know--and share, in words, so not a soul is in darkness, or done with, even in the grave.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracle Worker.

message 1: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I am always overwhelmed when Helen finally understands what Annie has been trying to teach her. The well scene always gets me, and you're right about the movie. I love Anne Bancroft in this and Patty Duke is amazing!

message 2: by Callie (last edited Dec 01, 2008 02:43PM) (new)

Callie I was going to ask you if you were involved in any productions around here. I'd like to see this play-- as I have a hard time reading plays. It sounds inspirational and you are lucky you have the talent to take an active part in it.