Nicole's Reviews > 61 Hours

61 Hours by Lee Child

Aug 11, 2012

bookshelves: to-read
Read in November, 2011

I absolutely loved this book and the only grievance I had while reading it was the fact that this is the 14th book in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, which also happens to be the first one I've read. Jack Reacher is a very interesting character, one of those mysterious ones who you know you will never get to know as well as you would hope. One thing I found extremely interesting, about this book in general, is the fact that throughout the book it seems like so much is going on and there are is so much action. Only after reflecting on the book did I realize that the events of the book (1) took place over a period of 61 hours, hence the title, and (2) were less "action-y" than I had once thought. There are times when the characters in the book are more worried about something that might happen, not something that is definitely going to happen, and when something does happen (excluding the end of the book) it usually ends with a rather anticlimactic situation.

Even though things like anticlimactic outcomes occurred in the book, Lee Child is such the master of suspense that you could honestly care less that something didn't happen because the characters keep alluding to something that "might" or "is going to" happen that you quickly glance over the fact that the bad guy didn't arrive (or whatever). Instead, you immediately look forward and keep reading, hoping to come across the point in time when something amazing and thrilling happens. Child is such an amazing writer, that when that point comes, it is completely worth the wait. It is everything you could have ever hoped for and more.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for something amazing to read. The good thing about this series is that Lee Child wrote the books so that you could pick up any one of them and start reading, instead of starting from the beginning and working your way up to the newest book. I have found a new series to enjoy and I hope that you will find the same thing I have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 61 Hours.

08/05/2015 marked as: to-read