Bonnie's Reviews > The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright

F 50x66
Nov 30, 08

Read in October, 2008

I borrowed this book from my brother. He and Loni read it during a family reunion in Wellfleet in the summer of 2006. They both raved about it.

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 is a rare book. Wright spent five years doing research and interviews. How did 9/11 happen? How close were we to preventing it? How have the tenets of Islam been so hideously and deliberately misinterpreted by people? How is it that the west has become a target of these terrorists?

Lawrence Wright documents the lives of four men: Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri (leaders of al-Qaeda), John O’Neill (the FBI’s counterterrorism chief), and Prince Turki al-Faisal (former head of Saudi intelligence). As he tells their stories we become aware of the seemingly benign coincidences that led to horrendous consequences, of the depth of enmity towards the materialistic, capitalistic west, and of the perversion of Islam.

Wright’s meticulous research is evident throughout as he connects the dots in this complex, convoluted horror story. At the end of the book are lists of principal characters, notes (detailed citings of quotes), an extensive bibliography, author interviews, notes on sources, and an index.

This book is OUTSTANDING! A must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looming Tower.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Sirotkin Do you really think Wright argues that Islam was perverted and misinterpreted by the terrorists?

To me it seemed like he just laid out the historical precedent in Islam for what was going on, and didn't take a stance one way or the other.