Nicole Green's Reviews > The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

Aug 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

The Hunt for Red October has to be one of my favourite Tom Clancy novels, as well as one of my favourite Tom Clancy films. He has no shortage of amazing plots when it came to this book and I am so glad that I finally got the chance to read it. Especially, after years and years of watching Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin play his most famous characters.

I love Tom Clancy's writing style, especially since I know that he never served in any branch of the military. Even though Clancy has no military background, his books make it seem like he does because of the fact that they are so well written. When reading this book, I felt myself being transported to the Cold War era. I felt myself becoming a member of the Soviet Navy, the United States Navy, and, of course, of Marko Ramius' defected crew. This is what makes Clancy such a brilliant writer. Even though I have never served in any branch of the military, nor was I alive during the Cold War, I still felt myself becoming a part of this world. The other thing I love about Clancy's writing are his characters. Ramius and Jack Ryan are two of literary history's most famous characters. They are so because the reader gets a sense of who they are and in the process of reading the book, they come to feel like they have known these two for a good majority of their lives. I love when readers can connect with characters on such a level.

I would definitely recommend this book for those who have seen the movie, but have not had a chance to read the book. I would also recommend it to those who are looking for one hell of a thriller. Tom Clancy is a writer of the ages and I can't wait to get my hands on another one of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Red October.