EMi's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1762033
's review
Dec 15, 12

bookshelves: i-own
Recommended for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
Read in April, 2009

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why this book is so highly treasured by society is beyond me. It is 345 pages of nothing. The characters are like wispy shadows of something that could be interesting, the language that could be beautiful ends up becoming difficult to decipher and lead me more than once to skip over entire paragraphs because I became tired of having to stumble through them only to emerge unsatisfied, and the plot is non-existent, as though Austen one day decided she wanted to write a novel and began without having any idea what would happen except that there would be a boy and a girl who seemingly didn’t like each other but in the end got married. The story really probably could have been told in about 8 pages, but Austen makes us slog through 345 pages of mind-numbing balls and dinner-parties. I don’t care what anyone says, this is not great literature. This is a snore.

Read my review of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
459 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice.
sign in »

Quotes EMi Liked

Jane Austen
“You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


Reading Progress

11/30/2008 page 76
18.54%
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 101-150 of 256) (256 new)


message 101: by Deepti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deepti i love dis book...in fact i make sure i read it once every year.. but i think most ppl lack d patience to read such a book.....
well to each his own...:))


message 102: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Wow, I am so sick of getting updates because of this idiotic review.


message 103: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Matt wrote: "Wow, I am so sick of getting updates because of this idiotic review."

Well then remove it from your update feed. It's pretty simple.


message 104: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Hehe.


message 105: by Teresa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa If you're skiping paragraphs, I would think you wouldn't enjoy it or understand it.


message 106: by Bubbly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bubbly Poor review.


message 107: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte It really rattles me that people often blame dislike of a 'classic' on your age. I'm 17, studying literature and I really enjoy a lot of 'classics'. For example, pretty much any Dickens, Fitzgerald, Shelley and Bronte. The reasons for my distaste of this novel has nothing to do with my age. It's the fact that I do just find it incredibly dull and not really seeing any sort of plot. Granted, I've yet to complete this book (but I WILL scrape through it), and I may change my mind by the end, but I'm rather agreeing with you at the moment.


message 108: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea I totally agree!! So boring!! Like is she trying to make people like her book, or put people asleep? It put me asleep.


message 109: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean P+P is the easiest Austen novel to read. If you can't cope with or appreciate it, you're reading the wrong type of literature. Simple.


message 110: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Age is relative. It comes down to your taste...I read this a few years ago and loved it. I love classics as they remind us of what people were like not so long ago. I could read them forever, but someone ten years older might struggle to get into them. It's all down to personal taste and attention span. To give P+P 1 star because you missed the entire point is pretty infantile.


message 111: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Sean wrote: "I love classics as they remind us of what people were like not so long ago. I could read them forever, but someone ten years older might struggle to get into them. It's all down to personal taste and attention span. To give P+P 1 star because you missed the entire point is pretty infantile. "

I could not have said it better myself, Sean. Perfect description of this review.


message 112: by * (new)

* Ali wrote: "I'm glad Goodreads gives me the star rating that a commenter gave this book before the comments, because, after speeding through all of these comments in five minutes, I have a theory. With only a ..."

Your theory is wrong, sorry 'bout that. The reviewer has written badly about the book for attention, that's all. She cannot possible expect overall praise when so many people love the book, and it still remains so loved after so many years, and so she just wants to stir the pot for a reaction. She thinks the characters are wispy, so she should go back to primary-school literature. She thinks the language is hard to decipher, she should go back to picture books. She's skips paragraphs, so she's missed the point of the book and should try again, but I doubt she has the mental fortitude. Any comments to help support her cause are childish and are of P.C. based ideals. It's called whiplash dear Elizabeth, if you don't like something than keep your pie-hole shut and tell someone who cares, don't blast it out on the net where lovers of the book are waiting. With that sort of thinking you might as well go to Israel and denounce Judaism 'cause 'I can say what I want'


message 113: by * (new)

* Glad to be of service. You're theory still remains wrong; I haven't given a rating and you've proven yourself of 'the less intelligent, respectful, and rational', especially rational.

If you didn't care about my opinion, why write a paragraph response? You do care, mainly because you want to stir the pot too, but everything you wrote doesn't hold any merit. I said PC because thats exactly what this is about, 'Ive got the right to free speech so I'll use it inappropriately', and because of that everyone thinks they can get away with yapping for the sake of attention. It's 'PC' to not tell anyone to shutup, but it's still very necessary to do.


message 114: by Daisy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy Leather ...wow. Well, each to his own I suppose.


message 115: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Read it when you are about 35. Makes more sense.


message 116: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi * wrote: "Ali wrote: "I'm glad Goodreads gives me the star rating that a commenter gave this book before the comments, because, after speeding through all of these comments in five minutes, I have a theory. ..."

Sorry isn't this a website where people write reviews based on their own opinions? I am not the first person to give this book a one star rating and I certainly won't be the last. I might as well go to Israel and denounce Judaism? Holy blowing things out of proportion. Pride and Prejudice is a BOOK. I didn't LIKE IT. And I never said you had to agree with me.


message 117: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Beth wrote: "Read it when you are about 35. Makes more sense."

I probably will.


message 118: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia B. * wrote: "Ali wrote: "I'm glad Goodreads gives me the star rating that a commenter gave this book before the comments, because, after speeding through all of these comments in five minutes, I have a theory. ..."

Beth wrote: "Read it when you are about 35. Makes more sense."

To *: what are you talking about? "Don't come to the internet where lovers of the book are waiting"? What on earth? You're missing the entire point of American democracy. I can't even express my disdain for you, because it actually transcends words.

To Beth: I'm 14, and I love P&P - but I know plenty of people who never appreciated something till they were far older than 14. It just depends on who you are and how you change. :)


Chellam Priyadarshini Ramakrishnan i really don't think age really matters, because I read it when i was 15 . You just probably dont like the genre. But why you rate Twilight more than P&P is beyond the realms of reason! And the language is just beautiful and it is certainly far superior to that of Stephanie Meyer, and obviously not easy to understand.. But skipping parahs and complaining about not being satisfied with the book is just lame!
And a mystery or a death or twist in the tale is not always what that makes a book interesting! It is a feel-good-book!


message 120: by Nadia (new) - rated it 1 star

Nadia You are exactly right


message 121: by Nadia (new) - rated it 1 star

Nadia Oo have a book mark that has 50 books to read before you die and this is the 3rd one on there


message 122: by [deleted user] (new)

Although I respect your bold attitude toward this novel, I cannot concur with one thing you said. The fact that you cannot perceive everything written immediately devalues your arguments on her character building and plot structure. And the fact that you mentioned the story could have been told in eight pages brakes the cardinal rule for all authors. You have to show, not tell.


message 123: by Ashley (new) - rated it 1 star

Ashley Agreed! I couldn't care what was going on in the storyline, who knows how I finished it


message 124: by [deleted user] (new)

just because you don't like this book doesn't mean you should call the people who do idiots.


Michelle The first time I tried to read Pride and Prejudice, I also could not read it. Too boring. But then when I got a little older and watched the movie versions first and knew where the plot was going I could handle the longer portions and the flowery language (which is actually a relief after all the 6th grade writing of this day and age...). I also understood the point of the title and how many people resolutely determine to misunderstand each other; some because they are biased against others or what they think, and some because they are too proud to admit there are other valid opinions in this world or that they might be wrong. I think this book is pretty relevant for this day and age if people took the time and effort that a high school education does not often provide the average American.


message 126: by Hannah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah well if the language was easy it wouldnt unique, and if you had actually made a decent effort at it you would see so much more that the plot and finally "insipid"??? how could you possibly...?? if ud said it simply wasnt your cup of tea id respect you, but you dont.


♥ Becky  22 I agree with you. I'd expected this book to be so much better. Really wanted to like it. Didn't though. :( It's been a while since I've read a book this boring. Couldn't even get myself to finish it. :(


message 128: by D.j. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.j. Lee Ki completely disagree with your review. I read this book when I was in the fifth grade. I understood it just perfectly. It's heart felt and a love story that timeless. You may not like the level of difficulty required to read it, but it's an amazing book. But to each his own. Enjoy being ignorant of awesomeness


message 129: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige I would have to agree that I found this book hard to pick up time and time again to read. It wasn't an action packed, glue your eyes to the page, stay up all night type of book to read but I still appreciated it tremendously. I think most people are ok with you not liking the book, but the way you wrote your review is bound to offend people. You could have got you point across and not had people breathing down your back with a much better choice of vocabulary. And it would have mad you sound more mature. Just saying...


message 130: by Marielle (new)

Marielle Massey I don't think you can rag on a book unless you fully understand it. And Austen did fully develop her characters. There are plenty of classics I despised and you're welcome to any opinion, but maybe we Pride and Prejudice fans aren't the narrow minded ones as you say?


message 131: by Jaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaz Its obvious some people dont cherish outstanding literature like other peole do.....


message 132: by Laura (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Simpson The whole point of dragging out the plot is to see the yearning for each other and how their opinions develop and change. It can be a slow start and tricky language at first but you get used to it as you go along and the language is one of the mere beautys of the novel!


message 133: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Almost every literary figure in the world would disagree with you so you'll have to forgive me if I find you to be ridiculous.


message 134: by Hannah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah I don't understand your review at all. It's fame and praise derive FROM the elegant way it's written; if you happen to have an open (not to mention intellectually superior) mind, the language and vocabulary come easily. The "boring" parts you describe are observations made by Jane Austen in her contemporary setting. THAT is what really makes it a classic- Pride and Prejudice is a time machine of sorts. If that explanation doesn't allow you to see the light then you have my greatest condolences and my never ending pity.


message 135: by Amber (new) - rated it 1 star

Amber Midgett That girl who said that you need an intellectually superior mind to understand Jane Austen should first inspect her own grasp on punctuation before accusing others of not being smart enough to understand a novel.
Those of us who don't like it usually DO understand it. And still don't like it.


Anthony Gramuglia You seem like a smart person, which is why I'm confused why you said that Pride and Prejudice was about balls and dinner parties. I mean, you read the book, so clearly you know that Pride and Prejudice is a Neo-Classical work that dissects social classism, the economy, the double meaning of words, English society, a woman's place in 19th Century society, and, finally, love. So I find it odd how you only talked about the balls and dinner parties.


message 137: by [deleted user] (new)

P&P is my bible.


H ∞Δnother book Junkie∞ hmmm!! perhaps you prefer something like 50 shades of grey !!


message 139: by Amber (new) - rated it 1 star

Amber Midgett Aren't elitists adorable? 3 years later and they're still whining because you have different tastes.


message 140: by Laura (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Simpson You are entitled to your own view of course, I personally love Austen, the context is vital to look at when understanding this book as well though. But to 'slag' it off, as to put it, I think is it a bit harsh. It is good to be open minded and appreciate that people may view the novel differently. I suppose it is all a matter of taste though. Just don't write it off just yet, even the books you don't enjoy much have hidden gems.


message 141: by Mariam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mariam Magdy finally i found someone to agree <3 - I thought am the only one who hated it


message 142: by Lauren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauren Joyner Yeah, you must have missed the whole point because of inexperience in life - try again when you're older.


message 143: by Jelly (new) - added it

Jelly This is probably the most insolent review I have ever read. Just because you lack the patience and understanding to comprehend such a beloved novel, doesn't give you the right to bash on the book itself.
Though I could hardly expect someone who lists makeup as one of her interest to be as well as most people but that gives you no excuse. I am trying to respect your opinion but I just have to inform you that if you had actually taken the time to understand the book, then maybe you and your supporters would appreciate the writing of Ms. Austen. I am sad to say that I'm years younger than you yet I have more appreciation for the classics. What kind of books would you consider good anyway? Twilight?


message 144: by Jelly (new) - added it

Jelly I'm writing this as a post script to my previous comment (if you know what a post script is)

I would've liked to apologize if I came off as uncivil but I thought better of it when reading your replies to other comments on your review. You feign superiority but correcting grammatical errors or posting unrelated remarks but please also try to act your age. Yes you are allowed to have an opinion but saying that something is "over-rated" because it is a well loved classic is the kind same kind of arrogance the brings shame to our generation. Please choose your word more carefully. I am sorry if I have offended you, though I must say that I felt the need to return the favor.


message 145: by kellyjane (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

kellyjane removed comment on edit


message 146: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Jelly wrote: "This is probably the most insolent review I have ever read. Just because you lack the patience and understanding to comprehend such a beloved novel, doesn't give you the right to bash on the book i..."

Perhaps you should go read my Twilight review.


message 147: by Jules (new) - rated it 1 star

Jules good it's not only me,then. it's not all her novels it's just this one. non of the characters are likeable. it's a chore to read.


message 148: by Susan (new) - rated it 1 star

Susan I have attempted to read this drivel multiple times too. I tried listening to it on CD. I watched all 5 parts of the BBC mini series. I previewed both the zombie version and the graphic novel. I'm well educated, well read, and over 40. I've been told "the story it's great", "it's a classic", etc. I get it. Pride and first impressions can be wrong, blah, blah, blah. I'm with you on this one. I don't get the hype either. There are plenty of other books on the shelf. Don't waste your time with something that doesn't suit your taste. Just because it's a "classic" doesn't mean it's for everyone.
I was thrilled to find a review that gave such an honest opinion. Some people loved twilight. I didn't. These are reviews. The good, the bad and the bored. They all count.


message 149: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 05, 2012 10:16PM) (new)

Susan wrote: "I have attempted to read this drivel multiple times too. I tried listening to it on CD. I watched all 5 parts of the BBC mini series. I previewed both the zombie version and the graphic novel. I'm ..."

Yes, reviews do all count but hopefully many people would take into consideration and look at quality reviews vs. just plain insulting reviews. Quality reviews are just better......


message 150: by Alisha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alisha Rosey I agreed with everything you said there! 100%. Also I think there are far too many characters and they are all so undeveloped. They have potential but none of them are given personalities! Instead, they are all just vague, shallow and naive only concerning themselves with pompous aristocratic nonsense.


back to top