EMi's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1762033
's review
Dec 15, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: i-own
Recommended for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
Read in April, 2009

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why this book is so highly treasured by society is beyond me. It is 345 pages of nothing. The characters are like wispy shadows of something that could be interesting, the language that could be beautiful ends up becoming difficult to decipher and lead me more than once to skip over entire paragraphs because I became tired of having to stumble through them only to emerge unsatisfied, and the plot is non-existent, as though Austen one day decided she wanted to write a novel and began without having any idea what would happen except that there would be a boy and a girl who seemingly didn’t like each other but in the end got married. The story really probably could have been told in about 8 pages, but Austen makes us slog through 345 pages of mind-numbing balls and dinner-parties. I don’t care what anyone says, this is not great literature. This is a snore.

Read my review of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
538 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice.
Sign In »

Quotes EMi Liked

Jane Austen
“You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


Reading Progress

11/30 page 76
21.65%
01/29 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-50 of 285) (285 new)


Michelle i am in love with you.


message 2: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi oh good. i'm glad to hear it.




Donna I totally agree with your review, I've just listened to the (12 hours long unabridged) audiobook and it is all a load of total drivel!


Jennifer Good Lord...


Brianda thats the whole point! it might be diffivult to you because you do not have the patience or the intelligence of understanding such an awesome book that is filled with mistery....


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Pat wrote: "not sure how old you are, but the same thing happened to me when I tried to read Austen at 20 years of age. try it again in 10-20 years and then see what you think."


Hm. I'm fourteen and I read this book just fine. I found this book to be amazing.


Rachelle ..uhmf yeah i think this book is amazing too ,I'm only 15 but i sure do love this book...If you will be asking me why it's just great Jane Austen is a witty and a humorous type of person and able to write what her point's of view are .I mean just compare it with the literary works nowadays .Everything seem to be fiction and fantasy ,i mean fantasy in a way kids below 10 would appreciate much more , like fairy tales ...And for the fiction i love twilight but compare it with the others..Also just consider Jane Austen is not in our time she's like from the 20th century what would she suppose to write..I will just say this READ it AGAIN...And try to be on the characters situation ..It would turn out good..I haven't read any of her novel's yet ,but I'm now working up with PERSUASION but i know it would be as good as P&P..And I'm a real fan because Jane Austen is a person from the time where ideas for this kind of works are still fresh..

*PEACE* :)


Laurie "This isn't great literature"?! And 'Twilight' is? Sweetie, I'm daring to venture the opinion that you have no idea, even remotely, what great literature is. So stick to the flavor-of-the-month drivel you so love and save your energy when it comes to "literature." We'll all be happier.


King Have you tried reading the ones with zombies?


message 10: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Laurie wrote: ""This isn't great literature"?! And 'Twilight' is? Sweetie, I'm daring to venture the opinion that you have no idea, even remotely, what great literature is. So stick to the flavor-of-the-month d..."

Twilight was awful. But P&P was so bad I'd rather read Twilight 12 more times.


message 11: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi King wrote: "Have you tried reading the ones with zombies?"

Yeah my mom actually got me that for some reason so I suppose I'll have a go at it.


Caitlin Great review; I couldn't agree more.


Elizabeth i agree 100%


message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana Reads I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I hated it!


Audrey The first time I read P&P, I was probably your age. I didn't really like it either. Some of the wording I found difficult and also I didn't understand the time period, customs, manners etc. Due to that I couldn't comprehend her humor, irony, or characters. I'd be wrong of me to blatantly assume that because of your age you feel the way you do now, but could your lack of understanding be part of the problem?
I've read the book a good 15 times or more, and even to this day when I read it I find something I missed, something clever Austen slipped in.
You are completely entitled to your opinion, but when you are skipping over paragraphs you are missing important parts of the book.
Even in your review you comment on finding it hard to read, stumbling through paragraphs, and being unable to decipher dialogue. Could that be part of the dislike? I strongly believe to enjoy Austen's works, you must understand the time period and ideas back then.
If anything give the book a chance in a good five years. You might not love it but I do think you won't find it worst than twilight!


Darcie Grunblatt I read this book for the first time when I was 11. Now I am 13. But it does have to do a lot with maturity i guess....Twilight is about 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times worse than this novel! Why u'd wanna read that more than this is beyond me.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't know why you did not like it, but I am still in high school and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I agree that this story could have been written in eight pages, however it would have been less enjoyable and harder to understand without all of the background information as well as being able to see all of the opposing forces of the story. I'm really sorry you didn't like it but don't give up on Austen; she is such a great author!


message 18: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi For all of these comments telling me Twilight is a piece of crap, that is my POINT. But I'd rather read it 12 more times than ever have to read P&P again.

I am emotionally mature enough to read classic literature. So far I love Great Expectations, and even if I hated the main characters in Jane Eyre I could still appreciate that it's a good book. But P&P is just nonsense. In my opinion. If you got something out of it, congratulations.


Ashley Davis I just read Pride and Prejudice a few months ago and although I did enjoy it on some level it was not what I had hoped it would be and it definitely didn’t live up to its hype. And even though I'm only 21 (and supposedly too young to appreciate it as some have suggested) I understood almost all of it and the words I didn't know, I simply looked them up on my Nook. That wasn’t the problem. The underdeveloped (and sometimes boring characters) is what really bugged me. I really wanted to love Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, and I really wanted to feel connected to them, but I didn’t. The movie is NEVER better than the book, but in this case I have to disagree (that’s right…yes, I did just type that). I loved the Pride and Prejudice movie so of course I expected the book to be 10X better, but…it wasn’t. With that said, I finished this book thinking "I don't see what the big deal is". I have listened to so many people rave about Pride and Prejudice and how wonderful it is and how everyone NEEDS to read it because it’s a classic and blah blah blah. When a book is deemed “a classic” it is usually already predetermined by the reader to be amazing…even if it puts you to sleep while reading it. Call me stupid, incapable of knowing great literature, or whatever but I’m just being honest. Maybe I’ll read it again when I’m “old and full of wisdom,” but I doubt it. By the way, to all of you brilliant minded people out there criticizing others because they don’t share your same opinion about a book: stop being so dang prideful about the fact that you read a classic and supposedly had the intellect to appreciate it better than others! Didn’t you learn anything from reading Pride and Prejudice. Just saying…


Elizabeth Svigar Stephen I like it better than I thought I would, but I can't understand why it's considered so highly. It's nice to read a review like this!


Mostserene1 Yes, American civilization is officially on a steep decline. Literacy was an endearing societal flower, beautiful but fragile, like a cherry blossom, and thus one of the first to whither. Sic transit gloria litterati!


message 22: by Padraic (new)

Padraic Ley I like them both Twilight & Pride and Prejudice. They are different and both got my attentions. Pride and Prejudice takes a little adaption to get it. I have to get in the detail of the sentence structure and read it slow. With the audio book and text, it made it easier for me. I like history, so 18th century is interesting to me. Novel and writing is an art, the beholder is the key. There is no right or wrong if you like or not like something. The beauty is that we are all different. So we like different things. We can get insight of how other likes it to examine that angle of point of view. Ironically, check our "Pride and Prejudice" ..


Shenandoah Sleasman I agree with Stephen King and his comments regarding the Twilight series. Jane Austen's story has stood the test of time. Good luck with that, Twilight


message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara I'm on page 89 or 90 at the moment and nothing seems to be happening...... I am trying to get into it and it dosen't happen.I have to read this for school but I can't. I am not reading a book about this and the language is really confusing *just like elizabeth said* and why is everyone going OMG she would rather read Twilight than P&P ...ITS HER OPINION! Hence why it is called a review. Anyway its just to opinion. I love fantasy books and I also like twilight, sure it has its faults but what book doesn't. Also I do enjoy classics because I have read a bit of Dracula and read Of Mice And Men and enjoyed them both. Its just P&P storyline is not my style, while Of Mice And Men is. The Ending is very obvious and therefore not a story I want to read. People who say Twilight sucks, thats your opinion but you just nitpick it to the death and just concentrate on Edward and Bella, and their love. If you could think about the other charaters maybe you could think differently. I just dont like the high society stuff as well. I just think you should actually listen to her opinion because no offense some people commetns seem like they hate twilight fans and call them 'Twihards' but look at yours, you are like 'Twihards' but with P&P. Also I really dont like it when everyone acts so over the top, EVERYONE CRIES....to me its a bit crazy.


message 25: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Helaine It seems to me that the point is being lost, and that's a pity. It's true that Pride and Prejudice, like many things, isn't for everyone. If you read the book and all you got out of it was a bunch of flowery language and too many boring dinner parties, you're certainly not alone. The fact of the matter is, however, that the wit and depth of the story has nothing to do with the dinner parties. It is not easily perceived by anyone who is unwilling or unable to read into the subtext. There's a truly touching remark on the human condition, on our very nature, on relationships (not just between a man and a woman, but between entire families and the relationships we have with ourselves) and on the value of strength of character that remains the entire point of this book in the first place.

It's a bit uninformed to go as far as to claim this book is "not great literature" when the claimant admits to skipping over entire paragraphs because they found the language too confusing or were too impatient to experience the story in its entirety. Hey, no fault there. I've done the same with other novels myself, but I don't attempt to review them afterwards if I know I didn't quite understand them. Read the whole book and at least address its message, and I'll be more inclined to take this review seriously.


message 26: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia B. Well, I disagree with you 100%, and frankly I have no idea where you're coming from, but this is honestly the first review I've come across which had this perspective. Congratulations. You're original. :)


message 27: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Maia wrote: "Well, I disagree with you 100%, and frankly I have no idea where you're coming from, but this is honestly the first review I've come across which had this perspective. Congratulations. You're origi..."

Thank you for not slamming my face in for having an opinion.


message 28: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia B. Elizabeth wrote: "Thank you for not slamming my face in for having an opinion."

You're welcome. It's a very good review - all the face-slammers are irritated because not only is your opinion different than theirs, but you can write about it cohesively and well! Gasp!


message 29: by J.N. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. I didn't like it either. I thought it was boring and I like plenty of other "classics." It kind of annoys me that some people comment just to diss you for not liking the book, lol. No book will ever have 100% of the people like it!


Camille Wow... It's one thing to not particularly love Jane Austen, but to claim TWILIGHT is better? That's just going too far...


April Joy Oh honey, that's how I felt-then I actually sat my ass down and read it till I understood. Now it's one of my favorites if not my number one.


Camille The thing is, even if you are making the comparison to Twilight because you admit Twilight is awful, I think that just goes too far. Whether or not you actually like Pride & Prejudice, you have to admit Jane Austen can actually write, whereas the author of Twilight has no real writing ability. So I find it offensive that you'd compare the two in that way. It would have sufficed to say that you didn't enjoy the book and wouldn't like to read it again... But you really cannot say she doesn't know how to write like Twilight's author...


message 33: by J.N. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. Diana, look at the bottom of this entire post. Next to "You are following this discussion" in grey, click edit. That lets you remove yourself from being notified. And I agree very much!


Camille 1. If you post something controversial expect to stir controversy. If you don't like it, don't post about it.

2. There's a difference between not liking something, and something being bad, that's the point I'm trying to make. You all have the right not to like Pride & Prejudice, that's just fine, but that doesn't make it horrible writing, like Twilight. I'm just trying to point out that the reviewer, who is clearly educated, intelligent, and well-spoken, that she should note that there is a difference between the two, and write reviews accordingly...


message 35: by EMi (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi The thing is I wrote this review over two years ago and I honestly don't even remember Pride and Prejudice. Of course it wasn't bad writing. I only said that it was a bit too much of a good thing language-wise, and that it was the plot and the characters that I found lacking. Of course I would not rather read Twilight 12 more times. If someone came up to me with Pride & Prejudice in their hands and said you need to read this or I'll kill your entire family, I WOULD READ IT. I was exaggerating. Heat of the moment and such. Gosh, some of you people take things really seriously.


message 36: by Tiko (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tiko never thoght a review could be popular for more then 2 years :D gratz xD


Zixuan If you read this book under the age of 16, I would recommend you read it again. This first time I read it, I was 14; I didn't hate it, but I didn't understand it. And like you, I skipped most of the plot because I didn't get any of the descriptions. I read this book three years later and did a literary analysis on it for AP English and I'm absolutely in love with it. You questioned why it should be considered as one of the greatest classical pieces; the answer is simple: it reflects human nature and societal hierarchy and how that can be overcome by love. And the way Austen wrote Elizabeth's dialogues and emotions were beautiful. I had to pause to make sure I wasn't in love with Mr. Darcy. You mentioned Twilight (again, I know it's not the point of your review), but Twilight is just a simple love story with no depth.
My advice to you would be to reread it and to read the entire story, not skip over the long paragraphs. It helps to enhance the plot and portray all of the character's wits.


Laurie Lesson learned: NEVER attempt to write a an ill-informed, negative review of a book beloved by millions, if what you're expecting is a pat on the back or a high five. There are a lot of us out here who hold readers to a higher standard. If it's not your bag, pass on it silently and be done with it. I have read the Twilight books by the way, and they're pap for a bored evening, not absolutely horrible...but if you read Austen, you have to have your brain engaged at all times, you have to have a basic social/historical understanding of the times, and you will probably have to have a dictionary handy. If you're not willing to do that, no problem...but it doesn't make Austen over-rated.


message 39: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Laurie wrote: "Lesson learned: NEVER attempt to write a an ill-informed, negative review of a book beloved by millions, if what you're expecting is a pat on the back or a high five. There are a lot of us out he..."

Excuse me, lesson learned? I can write whatever I want. I didn't like the book and I obviously felt strongly enough about it to write this review. Lots of people disagree with me and lots of people agree with me which is what happens with any review anyone ever writes. Why are you allowed to have an opinion and say Austen isn't over-rated, but I'm not allowed to be of the opinion that she is? Like I've said a hundred times, if you got something out of it, that's fantastic. Maybe five years from now I'll read it again and write a whole new review that contradicts everything I said here. Who knows.


message 40: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Hi, Elizabeth. First of all, Pride and Prejudice offers a great view of the social norms of that time. Also, not every book is going to be wizards and zombies and action. This book seems to be more character-driven than plot-driven. If this genre isn't your cup-of-tea, fine, but, the fact that this book seems boring to you doesn't lessen its literary value. Also, personally, I found this book and the characters to be very witty (especially Mr. Bennet).

If you'd rather read Twilight, go ahead. It won't be my loss.


Becky If you find the language too difficult to understand, even upon rereading a paragraph, than, sorry, but your mental capacities must be severely lacking.


message 42: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Becky wrote: "If you find the language too difficult to understand, even upon rereading a paragraph, than, sorry, but your mental capacities must be severely lacking."

*then


message 43: by Lyla (new) - rated it 1 star

Lyla This review made me giggle. Right on, girl!!! :D


Gary  the Bookworm I'm impressed by your passion. I guess P and P must seem difficult today. After all, it was written almost two centuries ago and times sure have changed. What hasn't changed so much is people. We still grow up and look for someone to marry. The circumstances change but the search goes on. Jane Austen understood that this and she chose to use it as a stage to explore the complexities of the human experience, She was a genius and she left us with six superb novels. Please don't give up on her.


message 45: by EMi (new) - rated it 1 star

EMi Gary wrote: "I'm impressed by your passion. I guess P and P must seem difficult today. After all, it was written almost two centuries ago and times sure have changed. What hasn't changed so much is people. We s..."

I'll try not to.


message 46: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat Hi Elizabeth. I think you are perfectly entitled to dislike this book. I don't think it's fair others are questioning your emotional maturity. However, I think it would have been beneficial to potential P&P readers to mention in your review which particular aspects of the book you didn't enjoy (which I saw you did in the comments). Also, to say that you recommend this to crazed Austen fans (or however you expressed it) is pretty insulting to anyone who loves the novel.

I find the wit in P&P extremely refreshing and haven't seen such intelligent humor in many other classic novels. That is my personal opinion and also makes me recommend this particular Austen novel to anyone whom I know will understand and appreciate the humor.

My point is that it's good that you feel confident in your opinion to post a negative review of a highly acclaimed novel, but please do not insult those who love it in your review. Also, articulating why you didn't like the novel might help readers decide whether the book is for them or not.


Patty Yeager I completely disagree. Pride and Prejudice is one of the most beautiful novels ever written. I think the fact that you skipped over entire paragraphs may have lessened your understand of the novel as a whole just a bit. *sarcasm* If you take the time to read slowly and comprehend the regency language you'd "get" it. Don't bash a novel you haven't taken a considerable amount of time dwelling on.


Matthew Hurley Nice troll.


message 49: by Rosa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosa Is it really necessary to compare a piece of classic literature to reading Twilight 12 times over again. Surely a little respect can be given to Jane Austen. I suppose the sarcastic tirade undertones on "modern" society were completely lost on you during the reading, but did you ever think that the personality of the characters was intentional? The pitiful ignorance of someone who cannot grasp a beautiful tale of woven language always saddens me, but I guess I'm biased because I would defend Jane to the grave. Perhaps you could try Mansfield Park, the character development is definitely obvious, if subtlety isn't ideal for you.


message 50: by Red (new)

Red Rocky Oh dear!!


« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top