EMi's Reviews > The Book Thief

Mar 14, 09

bookshelves: i-own, favorites
Read in March, 2009

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes EMi Liked

Markus Zusak
“It was a Monday and they walked on a tightrope to the sun.”

Markus Zusak
“Even death has a heart.”

“A SMALL PIECE OF TRUTH
I do not carry a sickle or scythe.
I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold.
And I don't have those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance. You want to know what I truly look like? I'll help you out. Find yourself a mirror while I continue.”

Markus Zusak
“I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sand castles, houses of cards, that's where they begin. Their great skills is their capacity to escalate.”

Markus Zusak
“He was skinny with soft hair, and his thick, murky eyes watched as the stranger played one more song in the heavy room. From face to face, he looked on as the man played and the woman wept. The different notes handled her eyes. Such sadness.”
tags: sad

Markus Zusak
“There were people everywhere on the city street, but the stranger could not have been more alone if it were empty.”

Markus Zusak
“He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

Markus Zusak
“You’re a human, you should understand self-obsession.”

Markus Zusak
“The commitment had disappeared, and although he still watched the imagined glory of stealing, she could see now he was not believing. He was trying to believe it, and that’s never a good sign.”

Markus Zusak
“The words were on their way, and when they arrived, she would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like the rain.”

11/30/2008 page 277