Dawn's Reviews > The Virgin's Lover

Dec 16, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: own
Read in December, 2008

This book tells the story of the early years of Queen Elizabeth's reign in the 1500s. It begins when Queen Mary dies and Elizabeth takes the throne and ends after her second year of power. It follows The Other Boleyn Girl, the Boleyn Inheritance, and The Queen's Fool (my particular favorite), and precedes Philippa Gregory's newest novel, The Other Queen.

I very much enjoy Gregory's style of writing. I appreciate the amount of research she puts into her books and that she notes at the end (usually) where she has taken liberties.

The Virgin's Lover was in line with Gregory's other books. It was interesting, well written, and informative. The attitude of the young Queen Elizabeth was at times grating and her indecision irritating. However, it was interesting to read about how she came into her own. I do feel that the book ended a little unfinished. I was hoping the end would discuss how Elizabeth ended up not marrying at all but it seemed to leave that part out. I did watch the movie Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett and thought that ended much more decisively. And the next book, The Other Queen is apparently about Mary Queen of Scots. I think I will have to search out a biography about the rest of the reign of Elizabeth I.

All in all I enjoyed reading this one. I always appreciate Gregory's novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin's Lover.