bookczuk's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: cabin-library, bookcrossing, a-favorite-author, great-title, read-on-recommendation, one-city-one-book
Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

Despite the fact that this took me an incredibly long time to actually pick up and read, I found the book extremely good. For some reason, the style kept reminding me of The History of Love by Foer's wife, Nicole Krauss. Maybe it's books set in New York City, featuring people of a certain age, lovers separated, etc, and a telling of a story partially through the writing of one of the characters. So much heartbreak, so much hope. The subjects of love and loss, the bombing of Dresden and the events of September 11, 2001 seem too large to all fit into one book. But they do.

Even though I haven't yet seen the movie, I know that Tom Hanks plays Oskar's father in it, and I kept hearing his voice in my head whenever that character spoke.

Recommended reading per my son.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

03/15/2012 page 113
35.0% ""...sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.""

Antof9 SUCH a good book!

bookczuk I started it, but it was the wrong time so now need to completely start over. Guyczuk really recommended it, too.

Antof9 I think I told you we read it for book club, right? I did notice it was one of those ones where you need to give yourself time to get into it before putting it down the first time. The stream-of-consciousness nature of it means you have to read in huge chunks -- it's not a pick it up for 10 minutes at a time type book. Of course, that s-o-c nature also makes it more believable that you're reading a young boy's thoughts as you get into it, so it becomes endearing as it goes.

Glad to know Guyczuk recommended it too :)

bookczuk Yes, and it's because of that I haven't given it up despite an unsuccessful first attempt. Baltasar and Blimunda is another one he recommended that I have to restart.

Antof9 I like how your son "assigns" reading for you :)

bookczuk Yeah. And I don't understand half of it!

bookczuk Or it's something like Blindness, which was fabulously written, but such a hard story to read emotionally.

Antof9 LOL! Too bad you raised such a smarty pants kid ...

Discoverylover I would be interested in what you think about the movie - I really enjoyed it, but haven't read the book yet!

Bookguide Funny, it reminded me of 'The History of Love', too. Great minds think alike!

Cathy (cathepsut) Forget my question in the comments of Eating Animals. I saw the second half of the movie somewhere and obviously found it confusing and disliked it. Maybe I should try again.