kisha's Reviews > The Coldest Winter Ever

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

Jan 22, 13

bookshelves: favorites, african-american-fiction, urban, rereads
Read from January 18 to 22, 2013

I just reread this book for the first time in about 3 or 4 years. When I first began reading I thought, oh boy another street lit. But I must say I was impressed. It was like I read it for the first time all over again because I got a new insight. A more mature outlook on this 'hood tale.

I must first admit that I am not a fan of Sister Souljah. She can be very politically incorrect and say some racist things towards white America. I don't agree with prejudice against any race. I respect that she stands for a good cause and she has a good heart, but her delivery is awful. With that being said let's move on the TCWE;

This book was not just another street lit novel. It stood for many teenagers and young adults male and female who think that the life that the Santiaga's and many other characters lived is a good life. I like that she showed the downfall of the Santiaga's. She showed what can and will likely happen to those who choose that lifestyle. She didn't glamorize money, drugs and sex like many other street lit authors do. There was a message in this novel and it was strong. Much respect for SS. I think every teenager especially minority teens in urban communities should read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Winter Ever.

Quotes kisha Liked

Sister Souljah
“So you know that TV shit ain't real.”
Sister Souljah, The Coldest Winter Ever

01/18/2013 page 20
01/18/2013 page 50
13.0% "I'm rereading this to refresh my memory for the sequel. I must say I have lost interest in this book. I don't understand what I loved about it so many years ago."
show 4 hidden updates…