Desclian's Reviews > Styrbiorn the Strong

Styrbiorn the Strong by E.R. Eddison

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-literature
Read in August, 2012

Eddison is fully enamored with the saga style and setting but his work is not merely a telling of a Scandinavian story in saga form but an exploration of the saga form from a more modern (note: not Modern) perspective. The characterization in particular is extremely compelling; Styrbiorn and Sigrid in particular are characters that develop in fascinating ways and have given me a great deal of thought, particularly as they are likened to Sigurd and Brunhild of the Volsunga Saga. Their character, though, and the themes of the book are very subtle, and I wonder if they are directly approachable without having read or understood much about Norse culture and aesthetic. As for Eddison's particular style I found his prose a little less beautiful than in The Worm Ouroborous (although still very fine) and his dialogue extremely wanting (I was often confused by the diction). In all a really enjoyable book for anyone interested in the vikings or their reception at the earlier part of the last century.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Styrbiorn the Strong.