K's Reviews > Reunited

Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: library

It took a few pages, but the book sealed the deal with a roadside memorial for a squirrel.

Alice, Summer, and Tiernan are former BFFs besties. They had a falling out a few years ago and pretty much plan on graduating high school and seeing the last of each other. When she hears news of a final show put on by their favorite (now-defunct) band, Alice gets nostalgic. She buys ridiculously expensive tickets minutes after hearing the news. She figures she’ll ask the others to go, if only to enjoy one last show. They’ll have to drive through several states over a few days to get there, but maybe it’s time to let bygones be bygones.

There are too few strictly friendship books and I’m always a fan. This one was a little skewed though, since these girls are former friends. They each moved on from their friendship to become very different people (which sounds familiar). Alice steps to her own drummer socially and is more bookish than the other two. Summer is a serial dater and a prominent member of the Popular Crowd. Tiernan is the rebellious one who favors shock value and substance-based recreation. The book was a light series of fun in-jokes and new adventures, mixed with awkward road trip tension.

But I do have some qualms. What is it about bringing familiar things from the past and ragging on them to make a book seem “now”? Within the first 75 pages, I think, Kurt Loder was the old guy from MTV News, Tony Hawk was way past his time even back then, the band they go to see is less poppy (and way younger) than U2. Not necessary, and kind of took me out of the story. Also. Attention, Books of the World: No one says ‘parental units’ since Coneheads. Stop trying to make ‘fetch’ happen. Or re-happen.

Mine are general grievances (albeit with specific references), I still enjoyed this one. That squirrel burial *did* make it worth the trip to the library. Enjoyable summer fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reunited.