Mindy's Reviews > The Key

The Key by Marianne Curley

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I'd actually like to give this book at 3.5. I didn't like it as much as the first two and I HATED the ending. But, all in all it was an enjoyable series.

I want to start with the things I really liked about this book as well as the other two. They are totally action packed. And not in a way that sacrifices character development for action scenes (see the Midnighter series by Scott Westerfeld). Curley manages to weave in depth to her characters in a way that isn't bogged down with over detailed monologues (see The Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini). She's a very skilled writer giving away character plot points via natural flowing story line and dialogue.

Now, that being said, the twist at the end was a little predictable. Mr. Carter was and always had been the obvious choice for the traitor and the somewhat annoying framing of Lady Arrabella felt forced.

I also hated what became of Matt. Really he changed and began to speak exactly like Arkarian or one of the Tribunal - in old fashioned tones. I realize he changed through his training, but to the point of practically being a whole new character was a bit of a leap for me to make. I would have liked it if he had been a little more of himself before the training.

And to the final point - I really feel like Curley let me down with Rochelle. Her character had so much potential just to die in the end. Also, for all the things Ethan did, how truly good he was, to be cheated in the end with Rochelle's death was just irritating. Everyone BUT Ethan gets a happy ending. And why didn't anyone EVER make an attempt to befriend Rochelle earlier? The ending also felt forced to me. Like Curley had to go that route to fulfill her own prophecy that the group is so tied to. Not that I think everyone should have a happy ending and that having Arkarian with Isabel, Matt with Neriah AND Ethan with Rochelle would have likely been a little too happy - I just wish it had ended a little happier.

I may read her other book Old Magic, but I've got so many other books to read, it may be a while.

While this series will definitely be interesting and identifiable for teens, I kinda wished that the characters had been older and this was an adult book. I think the concepts are interesting and would have been a great adult series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Key.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Swiftsea (new)

Swiftsea If only a sequel emerged.

Mindy Yeah. I'd like to see more Arkarian and Isabel. But I'm not sure where they'd go with the story line. Then again it's been almost four years since I last read the series. If you liked these, you might also like Garth Nix's The Abhorsen Trilogy.