Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > In the Garden of Iden

In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker

May 22, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, whereisit-fsa
I own a copy

31 May 2011: I just re-read this, as a GR group I belong to will be reading it in July. It's definitely interesting to re-read this in light of knowing how the series ends and where everything was going. It makes some of the things the characters said entirely different, and eerie in places.

That said, I still think that this book lacks something. I adored the immediate sequel, Sky Coyote, and recommend it to anyone thinking of reading this series, but this still doesn't do it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Iden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hirondelle I very much agree with you on it all. Were you able to make sense of the beginning scene, the people who kidnapped Mendoza? I was expecting a bigger pay-off from it on the final book, and either I did not notice it, or it is not all that wrapped up-

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Interesting. I loved this one and Sky Coyote remains my least favorite of the series. But I haven't read them all yet. Cool to have differing opinions. Makes the world more interesting.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides Sky Coyote was my intro to the series. I have a soft spot for Joseph even though he is such a weasel.

Jo Walton wrote a a post a while ago about genre books with heroes who fail. The concept fascinates me — I recently re-read a trilogy that I think qualifies for this, at least partly.

Here, though — they get the Ilex tormentosum. Joseph keeps Mendoza from getting into serious trouble. But they don't (view spoiler) and Mendoza is a wreck. A lot of heroic failure and not much of an emotional payoff.

Hirondelle, I missed your comment until now. As far as I can remember those people never mattered really after the first book.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) That post is interesting. I have at the tip of my tongue at least one series where the protagonist solves the immediate puzzle but fails again and again to achieve the overarching goal of the series, like catch the archenemy or prevent Armageddon, etc. but that probably doesn't count.