Mindy's Reviews > Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business

Setting the Table by Danny Meyer

Nov 30, 08

Recommended for: Library Leadership
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I don't think I will ever find a business book that is as great as "Good to Great" but this book is definitely up there in my top two or three. This is an easy to read, and if you love food, gripping book about how to open, develop, grow, evolve, design, run and have fun in a restaurant. Bu it goes way beyond restaurants.

In his introduction Danny says, “In the end, what’s most meaningful is creating positive, uplifting outcomes for human experiences and human relationships. Business, like life, is all about how you make people feel. It’s that simple and it’s that hard.” The rest of the book is all about how he does/did that. There are many lessons in this book that are 100% applicable to libraries.

It is full of gems, those things that you know that you know but you can’t quite nail them down. You can tell that he has spent a lot of time (years) thinking about his philosophies and methods and because of this he has been able to put them into the book in an understandable and interesting way. By the end of this book I not only wanted to (and will) eat at every one of his restaurants, but you want to be his friend. Here is a man who loves life, people, and food. His heart is in the right place and his actions speak as loud, if not louder than his words.

Shira and I actually ate at his first restaurant, The Union Square Café, a few years ago on a visit to New York. Shira still talks about the melt in your mouth Ahi Tuna and Wasabi mashed potatoes. I still remember being amazed that we walked in without a reservation and were seated at a wonderful table. It has remained one of our favorite experiences in New York and now I know why!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Setting the Table.