Books & Sensibility's Reviews > Innocent Darkness

Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books-reviewed

I think alot of the mixed rating for this novel lie in the misleading cover and genre. This novel isn't a historical and isn't a zeppelin/gadget filled Steampunk. I think the best way to describe this novel is that it is tried and true Fairytale. It is what I expected and what I got.

We've got Faeries, a damsel in distress, princes, queens and true love. The novel has a clever plot with smooth pacing and quite a few plot twist. This novel is also a bit more steamy than most YAs, which I suppose is a reflection of the Victorian-era setting of the novel.

Our heroine Noli wants to do what she can to help support her mother a high-class woman now resorting to working in order to support herself. I liked Noli's drive and her defiance while at the reform school

As the novel progresses we are introduced to more characters and plots and soon Noli takes a back seat. She seems to lose her spark and isn't very recognizable from the first chapter. We hardly get a re-mention of her mechanical tinkering. I just found the other characters and their stories more interesting than Noli's. There was so much tension and deceit happening between the other characters. This novel has a lot of great back stories.

The novel lost me a bit towards the end. It features a Deus Ex Machina and there seemed to be a lot of padding. There is one chapter where Noli reflects and talks out the love triangle and I just didn't see the point.

Towards the end the novel really comes full circle in somewhat of an ironic way which really ties the novel together. I can't wait to see what else awaits our characters in Otherworld.

Innocent Darkness is a debut YA Fairytale with a clever story and plot,but still leaves something to desired. If you are looking for a romantic Fairytale this is the perfect novel to get lost in.

*ARC received for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocent Darkness.