Tanya's Reviews > Strangeness in the Proportion

Strangeness in the Proportion by Joshua Alan Doetsch

F_50x66
Aug 11, 12

Simon Meeks might be the most romantic soul I've met in ages. His genuine adoration for and devotion to his love moved me, all through the violent revelations and descent into Chicago's underworld. Don't get me wrong; this is a horror, not a romance... but the horror is romantic.

In the beginning, I had trouble getting into Strangeness In the Proportion initially because poor Simon is introduced as a downright villain, an intoxicated murderer-in-waiting. Scenes jumping back and forth through the plot's timeline began as confusing as they were intriguing, due to a dizzying density of metaphor and imagery. Reading at what is probably your usual pace for fiction (mine is often close to skimming) is nearly impossible as a result--take your time, savor each line, or you'll start drowning.

However, once I got into the meat of the story and acclimated to the density, I was truly touched by Simon's quest to reclaim his love. This is one of the few books where the middle is the best part--Simon's arc is both believable and dramatic, and the plot never feels forced or rushed.

At some point towards the end it becomes clearer that this is technically within the IP of the World of Darkness. Honestly, I barely noticed and the only effect of the inclusion was a bit of added depth if you happened to get a few minor references. Doetsch has managed to use the atmosphere and reality of the World of Darkness to enrich his tale without ever seeming restricted by mechanics, technicalities, or fanservice. Simon Meeks is Chicago's most lovable anti-hero, and I miss him now that the book has ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strangeness in the Proportion.