Emily's Reviews > Love and Leftovers

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Aug 12, 12

Read from August 11 to 12, 2012

Verse novels either fall into the brilliant category, or underexplored. With such a little word count, each word really has to be selected with caution for maximum meaning and effect. Ellen Hopkins is a master of the former. She manages to pull heartstrings within pages. Sarah Tregay's verse fell into the latter category. I connected with the character development of Marcie herself and what she wants in a relationship. I love that she recognized that physical chemistry is as important as an emotional and psychological connection.

However, I didn't connect with the boys. And let's face it, in a love story, we as readers want to fall in love a little bit too. Boyfriend Linus redeemed himself at the end, but Marcie's new romance with J.D. was so underdeveloped I couldn't even picture him in my mind. What was he- a player, a jock, someone who geniunely loved Marcie? I have no friggin idea. I just know he brought Marcie Dunkin Donuts, and he touched her boobs and she liked it. Also, I hated that Marcie felt she had to choose between the two of them as if those were her only choices.

The story was cute, but it could have been explored more thoroughly. I would have liked to know what had ended up of the boy Marcie didn't choose. Just a meh.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Leftovers.