Bojidar Marinov's Reviews > The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall 1477-1806

The Dutch Republic by Jonathan I. Israel

M 50x66
Oct 24, 12

Read from August 11 to October 24, 2012

I am not a big fan of historians who simply gather facts and desperately avoid to see any meaning in history. But putting events and facts together to create a greater picture, for those who would later venture to seek some meaning and instruction in a specific time period and a specific historic circumstances, is still a necessary occupation. We all profit from it, provided we do not fall prey to the delusion that history can be learned without its meaning for us today. Prof. Israel does a wonderful job in gathering the facts and organizing them in a larger context, thus painting a dynamic picture of the Dutch society between 1477 and 1806. The book is huge but it is worth reading, for those who want to learn about the history of the Reformed doctrine and its practical applications, or for those who want to study the rise of modern capitalism in its very birthplace, or for those who want to learn about the initial steps of the rise of the modern world in general. It's a great reading, both for pleasure, and for academic wealth of information and moral instruction.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dutch Republic.