Lorraine's Reviews > Extensions

liked it
bookshelves: canadian, zz2012
Recommended to Lorraine by: Juanita
Read from August 12 to 20, 2012

I almost put the book down during the first chapter, because the writing was cheesy -- expected descriptions about appearances and connections and dialogue that was not realistic because there was so much openness and ease discussing very personal, sensitive topics. And who can have such a conversation over dinner with two little kids at the table? Not in my experience.

The writing gets better, for the most part. It occasionally flatlines again, but is interspersed with enough reasonable writing that I didn't get too upset. There are certainly golden moments, and the inconsistency makes me wonder if the book was written over a very long period of time and that some sections -- like the intro -- were harder for the author to write or added at the end to satisify an editor.

The juxtaposition of the two stories, the historical and the contemporary, does create some interesting perspective on BC's history, especially for people who know the area well. I did find it weird to know the whole story when the narrator had only pieces. Also, there was so much build up of the solved murder mystery and the exciting use of the primary sources for the history term paper that I felt let down when the abduction case took centre stage. It was like that storyline became too burdensome and the new one took its place so that the theme of family ties and babies could be highlighted.

The other part I found odd was that the narrator (author?) was so accepting of every ethnicity and way of thinking, especially new age, EXCEPT Christianity, which gets ridiculed in Laura's character. That was a skewed version of tolerance.

Oh, one more thing: the photo on the front cover is NOTHING like the described photo in the book. I wish artists would at least read the book if they are designing a jacket for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extensions.