Cindy's Reviews > Flight Behavior

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Dec 15, 12

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaway
Read from December 09 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

I won this novel through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!

The Poisonwood Bible is by far my favorite Kingsolver novel. Flight Behavior comes in second. It is a beautifully written but dense novel that is thought-provoking and could even be said view-changing in the way you think or don't think about the environment. Climate change, environmental issues, logging are all part of the story of a young, married woman who's life totally changes with the appearance of the monarch butterflies and a biologist who is passionate about saving these beautiful colonies of butterflies.

The title of the book is so appropriate as not only it covers the flight of the butterflies but also the flight of the characters as they each try to figure out their own existence. Each has their own reason for flight and it is interesting how Kingsolver wove this into the story. And there is the flight towards truth about the devastation of climate change.

I have to admit that this novel is not a fast read. There is so much information and background on monarch butterflies and climate change that it takes a while to digest what the author is telling you and to understand and comprehend all the information.

It is also a love story and a family story with a few characters you love to hate! I liked how Kingsolver developed the main character, Dellarobia, into a strong woman. For once I liked the ending and it left me satisfied.

I did like this story and recommend if you are a fan of Barbara Kingsolver and are concerned about environmental issues. Sure opened my eyes!

3.5 or 4 stars but giving it a 4 because of how beautifully it was written and how the author portrayed the main character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight Behavior.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindy I am a First Reads winner! Just won Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver! Thank you!

Debra I just saw that you won this book! I tried to win. Lucky you!