Sylvia's Reviews > Bone Rattler

Bone Rattler by Eliot Pattison

Aug 11, 12

Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

Aboard a British convict ship bound for the New World, Scottish prisoner, Duncan McCallum witnesses a series of murders and seeming suicides among his fellow Scottish prisoners that thrusts him into the bloody French and Indian War. As the only man aboard with any medical training, Duncan is ordered to assemble evidence to hold another prisoner accountable for the deaths — or face punishment.

Following a strange trail of clues that seem half Iroquois and half Highland Scot, and mesmerized by the Lord Ramsey’s beautiful daughter, Duncan McCallum, exiled chief of his near-extinct clan, finds the source of all evil at the site of an Indian massacre.

In BONE RATTLER, Pattison writes a brilliant suspense novel that includes insights about the founding of our country, as well as the spiritual nature of both Native Americans and the persecuted Scots who fled to these shores for refuge, freedom and a new life. It is hard to imagine a subject more relevant in our contemporary world than how democracy can be created, and how disparate tribes and peoples can communicate with and get along with one another.

Outstanding mystery set in colonial America, this is a "can't put down" book. The plight of the characters, the tension keeps you guessing, and the unusual insight into pre-Independence America is refreshing. The affinity between the displaced Highlanders and the tribes is based on historical fact and makes for an amazing backdrop for the novel. Many mysteries make up the plot including murder, sedition, greed, class, race, spirituality, and an old world facing eradication in the face of rapid change.

I highly recommend this for anyone looking for an exciting summer read.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone Rattler.