Oceana2602's Reviews > The Three Evangelists

The Three Evangelists by Fred Vargas

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, crime, disappointments, german, women-writers
Read in August, 2012

This was supposed to get me out of my not-reading funk which real life had thrown me into (thanks to constant lack of sleep and 80-hour work weeks).

It didn't.

I didn't get it. There was a tree, in a garden, over night (that much I got), then three people, moving into a house (next to the tree), digging under it (for what, they didn't know, and neither did I), a woman who worried (as she should have), disappearing....
it was all very confusing. It may have been less confusing had I cared, but I didn't. Nothing made me care about these people. I think I could have been able to care about the woman in whose garden that tree appeared, but I don't think I was supposed to.

I gave up. Yes, I admit, I gave up. I just didn't care, and I wanted to READ, not have the same boring book lying around for another four weeks of NOT reading.

The only good thing I am able to say about this is that I'm really happy I didn't read it in french. I mean, it was confusing as hell in german, and nothing much had happened on the first 100 or so pages. I think the worry that I may have missed something important because of the language would have driven me crazy had I read it in french.

On the other hand, maybe then it would have made more sense?

Guess we'll never know.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Evangelists.