Danielle's Reviews > January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her

January First by Michael Schofield

F 50x66
Aug 11, 2012

bookshelves: first-read
Read from August 20 to 23, 2012

** I won this book as a Goodreads first read.

Before I had read this book, I had seen the documentary on January Schofield so I knew the baseline of what I was going to be reading. However, I did not know the emotional side of the story and how I would feel as I was reading the book. This book was written very well with not much left out. It really puts you into the shoes of Michael Schofield and makes you realize what he has to go through. I cannot imagine having a child who is physically with me but at the same time in her own world believing that what she sees is what I can see too. It has to be hard.

At times I was upset with treatment options as well as insurance companies denying care for Janni. Even though her disease is very hard to diagnose, especially at such a young age, the doctors should have kept trying. In the end she is diagnosed, which is what the Schofields want, just not the diagnosis they wanted to hear. It just pains me to see what the family as a whole had to go to in order to get to that point. Even though schizophrenia is not something that can be treated easly or at all in some cases, having a disgnosis at least can give someone hope.

This book may be hard to read and can cause much emoition to the reader, but it is a true story about how much a parent loves their child and what measures they will go to save their child from their problems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read January First.