Jed L's Reviews > Earth Unaware

Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card

Aug 20, 12

Read from August 11 to 20, 2012

I enjoyed this book. It is typical Card. While there were some flaws in the book, Card uses this prequel to introduce some new characters, an interesting plot and provide a background for his Ender's series.

It tells of the beginnings of the first Formic from the point of view of outer-space miners far from Earth. It also explores class tensions, coming of age, ethics and inter-species relations.

My criticisms of the book aren't that many, but they did loom large and were somewhat uncharacteristic for Card. First, I felt he introduced the Earth dwelling military men too early. In fact I wouldn't have introduced them until the next book. Their story was completely unrelated and only distracted from the other more interesting characters and stories. Second, Card seemed to occasionally forget that his story is not only in our future, but also in Ender's past. He has space-born people using phrases that only Earth-born people could relate to. At the same time he introduces new technology that wasn't present in Ender's time. That seems like something a good copy editor would find and fix.

And missing from the book is card's usual chapter beginnings with letters or e-mails or some sort of correspondence. I felt that here would be an excellent place to insert some thoughts from the Formics themselves.

Overall this was a good read and I will be checking out the following books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Unaware.