Marie Loughin's Reviews > Hard Magic

Hard Magic by Larry Correia

Aug 11, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2012

I enjoyed this book thoroughly. It was exactly what I needed to read at the time I read it. That is, I needed to read something fun and action packed. The world building in this one was somewhat unique, at least for me. It's set at a time when World War II would have taken place, assuming Hitler had survived that long (this is an alternate world urban fantasy, if there is such a thing). I like Correia's rules of magic, and I like the over-arcing conflict that is being developed in this first book. Correia is developing a large cast of highly likable characters that will allow him lots of room to play in future books in the series.

That said, this book is not without it's problems. I suspect one common complaint may be the loud echoes of the Monster Hunters series. In particular, a few of the characters seem rather familiar. This doesn't bother me too much. I have certain expectations of Correia's books and subtle characterization isn't one of them.

Similarly, there are a couple of plot holes that may or may not be filled in later books. Again, I was having too much fun to care much about that, as long as the major plot points hang together.

Overall, I'd say if you're looking for read that is way above average for fun and action, then you can't go wrong with this and others of Correia's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Magic.