K.T.'s Reviews > Beautiful Ruins

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Aug 11, 12

Read in August, 2012

"Beautiful" is a word that is used so often that its meaning has been watered down with time. Everything is beautiful. That towering actress, the flooding red sunset, the powder blue paint on a rusting old dream of a vehicle. When I say, though, that this story was beautiful, it is no small thing to say.

Though the plot and the characters are, of course, larger than life, it is the smallness and intense human frailty throughout the story that drives Beautiful Ruins into the realm of gorgeous. A budding movie starlet, an addict, the ungraceful aging of a once towering producer, all of them filled with the rambling, subconscious inner-monologues we're all carrying with us in our lives. It is, in a way, a love-letter to life. A reminder that all of us are dying for a sliver of recognition, the need to reach out and connect, to be seen, remembered. That at the heart of it, all these lifestyles and ideals we use to propel us in our goals toward immortality and completion can, all too often, distract us from the true main event.

The only true regret I have about this book is that I could only read it for the first time once in my life. Definitely one to be added to my permanent bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Ruins.