Meg's Reviews > The Governess Affair

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, novella, kindle-read
Read in August, 2012

This novella was pretty good, overall. I had a really hard time getting started with the book -- I think a scene between Clermont and Serena might have been a bit more attention grabbing. As it stood, I actually had a little difficulty figuring out who was who between Hugo and Clermont in their opening scene.

My other issue with the book was that it seemed a little preachy, particularly about [spoilers removed]. I think it's very interesting to explore this side of historical romance -- we so often have bastard sons as heroes, but rarely see the effects of that on their mothers/fathers/stepfathers. Yet, it seemed as though Milan was very much trying to Make A Point, and it sort of came off as a PSA.

I loved the intimacy between Hugo and Serena -- his ability to set her at ease and make her desire him was impressive. The hairpin game was one of the better sex scenes I've read this year.

A nice little novella, this work is not as lighthearted as some other shorter romance novellas. That being said, I think it sets up the coming books well, and has me intrigued to read the novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Governess Affair.