✿Alyssa✿'s Reviews > Measuring Up

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star
Read from August 19 to 22, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up: Seventeen-year-old Annabel Conway is tired of the Hillcrest High School elite making her life miserable because she’s not a size two. This summer, she's hiring a personal trainer to help her lose weight.

Annabel doesn’t expect her trainer to be a gorgeous guy around her age. Boys like Tegan are jerks. They pretend to like girls like her so they can make an idiot out of them. Been there, done that. Totally not going there again. She kind of hates him on principal. Blond. Muscular. Funny. It doesn’t help that he knows her measurements!

Soon, Tegan's so much more than that. He’s the boy who teaches her to box when she has a bad day. Who jogs with her and lets her set the pace. Who kisses her until she melts. He makes her feel beautiful regardless of what the scale says. Unlike her mom, he doesn’t expect perfection, and he doesn't try to shield her from the world like her dad and best friend. Tegan likes her the way she is.

But what happens when he’s not there? He can’t always be there…

Will Annabel be able to stand on her own and learn that she already measures up? That her worth doesn’t lie in what the world thinks, the scale says, or even what Tegan tells her— But in herself?

★★★Over-all, I'd give this book 3 ½ stars!★★★

At first, I honestly didn't think this book was going to get a rating above two stars- It wasn't that it was horrible or anything... But it just felt like nothing out of the ordinary, which had me feeling bored and frustrated throughout the first half of the book. But once Tegan and Annabel's relationship started to shine through the story really took off for me and I couldn't put it down- That just goes to say, you shouldn't give up on books too soon. ...I may be preaching to the choir here, since I have a personal issue with that problem myself but had I given up on this story when I had first wanted to, I would have missed out on what turned out to be a pleasant and enjoyable read.

I have to admit, the heroine Annabel annoyed me many times throughout this novel. I definitely understand where she’s coming from about many things, especially her insecurities about her weight. Especially in today’s society where many girls don’t think they’re perfect unless they’re four-foot-eleven and 86lbs. But Annabel’s insecurities were a bit much for me in the beginning of this novel. There’s insecurity… And then there’s doubting everything you or someone else does or says just for the heck of doubting- Which is what she seemed to do on every turn of the page. But I’m happy to say that she eventually grew on me. I came to realize that her biggest struggle was accepting her weaknesses and just embracing them for who she was. I think just about every girl could identify with her and what she was going through- Not only with weight issues, but with her relationship as well.

Tegan on the other hand… *sigh* …I loved him. He was so darn sweet to Annabel, and the boy had me cracking a million giddy smiles throughout the entire book. Every tease he gave Annabel… Every touch… Every motivational encouragement… It was all absolutely swoon-worthy, which shocks me a bit since he was much younger than the heroes that I typically fall for. He had an overwhelming sense of responsibility that put a strain on his relationship with Annabel, among other things. ...I won’t go into too much detail though, because I don’t want to give anything away.

I have to say, one thing that I really enjoyed about this story was the pace in which Annabel and Tegan’s relationship evolved. It started out as a friendship, making the relationship as a whole more realistic. Not only that, but nothing came easy for these two- Inside and outside of the relationship they both had struggles and challenges to overcome, and their own personal battles to fight. And speaking of obstacles and battles... (view spoiler)

Over-all though, I think Nyrae Dawn did a good job with this story, and I commend her for her character development... Which is a major must for me. There were quite a few cheesy lines here and there, and even though nothing about Annabel and Tegan's relationship came easy, the story as a whole did seem a little too "white picket fence" perfect in my opinion. But sometimes that's what comes with the territory when reading YA. If this book seems to be grabbing your attention, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to give it a go- It's well worth the read.

Some favorite quotes:

-"Annabel Lee, when are you going to realize there’s not much of anything I wouldn’t do when it comes to you?" ~Tegan

-"...Sure enough, he's looking, cocky little grin in place like he's God's gift to the female eye and he caught me praising the Lord.” ~Annabel
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Measuring Up.

08/19 "I won't give up on this book! I won't give up on this book! I won't give up on this book! ...Lets pray it's a five star read- here goes nothing..." 3 comments
08/20
41.0% "...I'm bored. Absolutely NOTHING about this book is out of the ordinary, and I feel like I'm reading a puppy love romance between two young teenagers. Does this face look like I WANT to read about an eighteen-year-old hero? I need a man ladies... a man.

" 2 comments
08/21
57.0% "...Guys, I'm a little embarrassed to be saying this after I just got done saying how boring this book has been and how I'm just not into eighteen-year-old heroes... but... I'm really loving the book right now! I don't know what happened, but the book took a turn for the better, and this eighteen-year-old hero that I thought was too young for my taste... he officially has my heart. *sigh*" 12 comments
08/22
100.0% 2 comments
04/22 marked as: read

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara Soooo how is so far? Hopefully you didn't get two duds in a row :/

message 2: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Uh oh...I thought I just saw a post saying you weren't liking thissss lol. Oh no!

✿Alyssa✿ Guys......

I'm not liking it! (Surprised??) LOL! I seriously don't know what's wrong with me... lately, I can't seem to stick with a book past the third or fourth chapter. It's not that this one is horrible or anything... but it's a little young for my taste. I want to read about a MAN! ...Not an eighteen-year-old hero. :( The heroine is also getting on my nerves as well. I'm all about insecure heroines, but this one is borderline annoying.

*sigh* ...Maybe I'm just being too picky and trying to find flaws in everything that I'm reading. I'm really trying to finish this book though- hopefully in the next few days I'll have it read and a review posted, so that you guys can see what I thought of it and decide on if it's a book for you!

message 4: by Kristin (KC) (last edited Aug 20, 2012 08:01PM) (new)

Kristin (KC) Haha...There's nothing wrong with you silly ;) At this point, you've read so many books and know exactly what u like. You're too funny. Hope this one turns out somewhat ok for ya...!!

Have you ever read any Lavyrle Spencer? Most of her books are historical romances, but very simple plot. I mention her bc almost all of her heroines are innocent and proper virgins, and heros are brooding, cold, and uptight (at first;) Her book "Hummingbird" is a perfect example. The only thing is that while her love scenes are intimately descriptive, they're not full out erotic. (Not sure your preference on that.)

✿Alyssa✿ Ohhh, I'll have to check that book out! Thanks so much for that recommendation Kris! I love me some innocent virgins heroines, and cruel and uptight heroes! =) ...Oh, and love scenes don't have too be too descriptive for me to enjoy a book! I'm not too picky when it comes to sex, as long as it doesn't feel like a constant filler- I always get bored with too much sex.

message 6: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Same here! Like the sexy scenes but HATE all-hot-with-no-plot! Lol

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Then don't read The Future of our Past

✿Alyssa✿ LOL- Amen Kris! And Sara... I'm officially not touching that book with a ten foot pole!

Karla Nice review Alyssa!

✿Alyssa✿ Thanks so much Karla! :)