Jonathan's Reviews > Danny the Champion of the World

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

M_50x66
Aug 11, 12

Danny is a young boy who lives a happy life alone with his father, William. They dwell in a gipsy caravan beside the filling station and garage they own. Danny deeply loves his father and the book describes the pleasant life they led, until William’s “deepest, darkest secret…” is revealed. William is a poacher of pheasants.

The local landowner, Mr Hazlett, is the victim of this poaching. Hazlet is a character whose villainy is established after his arrogant treatment of Danny and his father. Our two heroes plot a way to get their own back. The successful scheme leads Danny to be hailed as the champion of the world.

One of the few downsides is the promotion of poaching which comes across as a Robin Hood activity. That said, I enjoyed this book. There is a pleasure in seeing a dislikeable character receive his comeuppance and the story builds to an exciting climax. It is a book that is ideal for independent reading of children of 9 and up, the same age as the lead character, and would certainly encourage them to read more of Dahl’s books. It could also be used to inspire creative writing for example we could see Danny and his father’s next poaching scheme unfold.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny the Champion of the World.