Betty's Reviews > The Time Keeper

200171
Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: arc-review-copy
Read in August, 2012

Albom's fingers on the keyboard turn out golden prose, whether a column or a book. The Time Keeper is like a combination of precious metal. The story opens with Dor who lives four thousand years ago.

(Edited to add that a person named Sidney who has a private profile complained in a comment 9 months after I wrote this review that I should warn there are spoilers. I don't think this review does, but you can stop reading now if you wish).

back to the review... Albom's explanation of Dor's thought processes in figuring out numbers and time is pure gold.

The silver part of the novel is about a high-school girl named Sarah Lemon. She is lonely and unloved. She has a crush on a classmate Ethan. Sarah is eager for time to pass quickly before their first date. Soon, though, her heart is broken, as happens to unpopular lonely high school girls. Her life is tarnished.

Our platinum character is Victor, the fourteenth richest man. Money, however, cannot cure him when he has terminal kidney cancer. However, he has come up with an alternative use for his money.

Three very different, intertwined characters with different perspectives on Time. Will they meet? How, where, when? How will they influence each other? The answers to these questions are precious gems.

This novel doesn't mention Eccelesiates 3, but it does tell us there is a time for everything: a time to be born, a time to die, a time to .......... I tell you, it is time to read this book!
95 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Keeper.

message 1: by Mj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mj Well written review. Certainly piqued my interest!

message 2: by April (new)

April I wanted to read this book when I found it at Target & now I REALLY want to read it--loved your review--thank you! :)

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Your review has convinced me to give this one a go! I love your style of writing.

Sydney You should really warn people that this review contains spoilers.

Betty Sydney wrote: "You should really warn people that this review contains spoilers."

Spoilers? How? Where in the review? Please let me know. thanks. I can go back and delete the spoilers. The book does have 3 main characters.

Sydney Your review on The Time Keeper mentions what happens at the end of the novel to two of the main characters:

"The silver part of the novel is about a high-school girl named Sarah Lemon....Soon, though, her heart is broken, as happens to unpopular lonely high school girls. Her life is tarnished."

"Our platinum character is Victor...However, he has come up with an alternative use for his money."

Betty Thanks for your perspective. This part is from Goodreads review itself "commences a journey with two unlikely partners: one a teenage girl who is about to give up on life, the other a wealthy old businessman who wants to live forever. To save himself, he must save them both"

Jessi This story was wonderful. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! Mitch Albom is among my favorite of all writers. I enjoy his tremendous work.

Jessi Lohman
Author
Finding Yourself in a Suitcase
Befriending Death
www.RockstarJessi.com

message 9: by Devashish (new)

Devashish Palkar Amazing book.. u ve hit the nail on the heaf when u wrote- it's time to read it...