Mary Maddox's Reviews > Whisper Cape

Whisper Cape by Susan Griscom

Aug 11, 12

Read in August, 2012

I sometimes have trouble getting into romance novels, but I love fantasy and paranormal suspense. In Whisper Cape, Regan Walsh combines the two genres in a way that held my interest all the way through. Though the lovers, Addie and Cael, are predictably attractive and gifted with amazing powers, they have quirks and flaws that make them human and likable. The sex scenes are wonderful, never crude or coy. Once or twice they stall the action more than I would like, but I'm guessing many readers will enjoy the delays. In any case, Cael and Addie's romance is important to the plot. Their love becomes both a weakness and their greatest strength as they confront the evil Eidolon.

I love the paranormal aspect of the novel and the backstory of Addie's and Cael's families. Walsh gives enough detail to explain what's going on, arouse readers' curiosity, and set the stage for the next book in the series. The plot unfolds at an effective pace, and the tension keeps building right up to the end. The climactic confrontation with Eidolon disappointed me a little. After the build up, I was expecting more of a battle.

The minor characters in Whisper Cape are well-drawn. I was never bored by Darcy or Jared or any of the patrons of the Cliff Hanger, the restaurant where Addie works. The novel also has a vivid sense of place, especially Whisper Cape where most of the action unfolds. Walsh does excellent work in creating an unmagical world that makes the magic all the more exciting and credible. I look forward to her next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper Cape.