Carol's Reviews > What the Dog Ate

What the Dog Ate by Jackie Bouchard

F 50x66
Aug 18, 12

Read from August 11 to 16, 2012

What a fun book! (Four stars if you don't "get" dogs)

Maggie Is quite upset and it isn't the $700+ vet bill that did it. No, it's the sexy purple panties the vet handed her (Kona, her chocolate Lab, eats everything). It's more the fact she wears underwear - large and white -that has her fuming. The biggest surprise of the day, though, is when her husband fesses up, grabs his suitcase and heads out the door.

Maggie is lost. All she's done for too long is work. Days, evenings, weekends, her career as an accountant is stressful but she's been doing it for them. Now there is no them. Just Maggie and Kona. When her brother shows up on her doorstep, homeless and unemployed, she feels cornered. How can she hide out, subsisting on smoothies and B&J's ice cream with someone else there? She doesn't realize he is a man on a mission. He practically shoves her out the door to a yoga class he thinks she should take. He insists on making a list to get the house sale-ready. Maggie makes two incredible friends who think both she and her big, sloppy, ravenous dog deserve better. They give her the strength to break out of her workaholic lifestyle, quit crying over David and find a new life.

This is a very well written book. The dialogue is natural. I found myself nodding along at some situations, snickering, giggling, and laughing out loud at others. More importantly, I found myself caring, wanting Maggie to finally grab that brass ring, let go of all the hurt and find stroll off into the sunset, Kona at her side. Add this novel to your to-read list and enjoy!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Dog Ate.

08/11/2012
15.0% "I'm 'allowing' my husband to read a NOOK book while I read this on it, too. I wish he read faster!"
08/16/2012
60.0% "wish I hadn't dropped my NOOK, it's not co-operating and I have to finish this book"