Hell Cat's Reviews > Something Secret This Way Comes

Something Secret This Way Comes by Sierra Dean

F_50x66
Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: dnf

** spoiler alert ** I have high expectations in books, I realize this. I can read a lot of books, struggle through them, but I honestly felt like Dean missed the mark. I did some reading of reviews after I gave up (did not finish) and realized I wasn’t alone. 20% into a book, I need more tone of the writing and style. It felt bland. Or maybe inconsistent is the better word. Nothing worked together. Maybe some internal and external editing to cohesively tie together the plot points while weaving more strength of personality in Secret.

Secret reminded me too much of Anita Blake meets a Buffy sized package. Actually, on a phone call with a contact/friend, the Buffy thing is made into a joke. The world building felt completely weak. I really, really didn’t need the already two love interests included by the time I stopped because while I learned a lot in Info Dump Land of Conversations (chapter 9), I didn’t learn enough about Secret herself to make her so crucial to the supernatural world. I get that it’s a play on her name but she felt too weak to stand up to a King and a second choice. Her “secret” was somewhat weak by the point I read it because there was no intrigue as to why it was important.

Secret goes from Super Chick to empty when facing a hot guy…or two. I don’t like Anita Blake, at all, but "Something Secret" comes close with the triangle that you know is coming since she’s staring at one guy’s butt while climbing stairs and practically drooling over the other. She also seems to be a bit reserved about men and flirting, but yet she’s “been with enough men in the past to consider myself a woman of average experience” (Chapter 10). Again with the lack of consistency. Plus the Secret McQueen play on words doesn’t quite match the original (Steve McQueen) when referencing the man's work.

I wish it had been better. I might have liked the book more. I love strong females and first person narrative but this one really didn’t hit any of my favorites. And it makes me happy that the free price in February didn’t put me out any money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Secret This Way Comes.