Kathryn Bain's Reviews > Killjoy

Killjoy by Julie Garwood

Aug 11, 12

Read in August, 2012

Mediocre romantic suspense. I'm getting real tired of heroes and heroines falling in love within a couple of days just because they have good sex. It's called lust people, not love.

Also, I had a hard time buying the whole story line of the hit man falling for Jilly and doing some of the stupid stuff he did. The first night they sleep together, he tells her all about himself. He also rushes what he's doing to please her. You don't get to be a top notch hit man by rushing. As for telling her who he is when they first meet, you don't get to be a top notch hit man by doing that either. It doesn't matter how pretty the woman is. A hit man who the FBI cannot catch should be very smart. He sure wasn't acting like it. And if the bad guy isn't acting smart, yet the cops can't catch him, that makes the cops appear stupid.

The plot was good but a lot of the backstory to tell me how evil Jilly was kept throwing me out of the story. I also had most of the storyline figured out without much in the way of surprises. Just a hint writers, if you want to pretend someone is dead, don't kill them in a fiery crash. (I'm not giving anything away here. The crash was announced in the first chapter and by about the third you knew the person didn't die. Most readers will assume it in the first chapter.)

If you want an easy read without much in the way of surprises, this is a good book for that. There's great detail in the way of description. Ms. Garwood puts you in every scene very well. There were actually times I felt I could smell some of the descriptive detail. However, the suspense wasn’t very suspenseful.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killjoy.

Carol I'm only about 1/3 way into this book. Keep putting it down, due to lack of interest... and feeling the author is either very naïve, or condescending towards the reader's ability to judge unrealistic characters/situations.